Chapter 19

A day later, Katie and I packed up our suitcases and flew back to our homeland where our enemy was. Katie had returned to that town after good 8 years and I after 6 years. A long time.

We rented a room in an apartment. Rodrick's strict instructions were that no one should know we belonged here. We were under cover.

We unpacked our necessary things and worked a little more on the important information of our new case. After a while, I got up and stretched. Katie picked up a packet of biscuits from her backpack and we started munching them hungrily.

I went towards the window to see my homeland after so many harsh years. Everything about that place seemed to allure me towards it. It gave me a motherly feeling. I was glad to be back. I didn't care if that was because of my work or anything. However, the thought of Elan, that he too lived somewhere here made my heart race.

The sun was going down, getting lost somewhere far away. The sky became a mixture of blue, grey and orange. Evening chills were even felt inside the room. We could hear the birds chirp away to their nests, running from the dark night.

"When do we leave?" I asked Katie who was still working and lost in the screen of her laptop.

"At night, probably," She replied taking a bite of her biscuit.

"I'm taking a nap then."

I went to lie beside her on the bed and used her arm as a pillow instead of the real one.

"You're such a baby. I'm sleeping too then." She smiled.

We woke up two hours later when our phones started ringing violently. "Who the...oh shit! It's Rodrick. He would kill us if he knew we were sleeping like drunk horses in the middle of this mission," Katie said worriedly as she looked at her phone, rubbing her eyes.

"Uh oh. Anyways, pick up. Tell him we're ready to make our first step." I sat up straight.

"Hello Sir," Katie greeted confidently after clearing her throat. "Yes, we were just waiting for the evening to darken...Hm yes, of course...Mm hm? Okay.... Don't worry, bye." Katie talked to boss while I stared at her intently.

"Phew!" She said while hanging up.

"Anything important?" I asked curiously.

"Not really. You know how he is. Anyways, let's get started now or else we'll be thrown out from our jobs," Katie chuckled while getting up. "Ladies and gentlemen, hold on to your seat belts, because this is going to be a bumpy ride and we are going to become exceptionally hot. It's time for a party," Katie announced to our empty room as she winked at me.

"Oh no..." I knew what she was up to.

You sure this is the right place?" I asked Katie, frowning, with my hands on my waist. Katie and I stood in front of one of the fanciest bars in the city, wearing the fanciest outfits. People were already drooling over our looks. Oh God, what are we even doing, I thought.

"This Robert man is engaged in things which his son should be doing. What a shame," Katie said shaking her head sideways in disgust.

"I've never been in a place like this before. You sure about it?" I asked dumbfounded.

"As if I go to such expensive bars every day." She rolled her eyes. "The file which Rodrick gave us had addresses of two bars and this is one of them. It better be the right one."

"Yeah, let's move." I started to walk when Katie held my arm.

"Wait. What about those macho guys?" She said while staring at the two muscular, black guys guarding the door of the bar, one on each side.

"We're Robert Burten's friends Katie. Chill out," I replied with an evil smile on my face.

"You're gonna get us killed. Those guys are already laying cold eyes on us," Katie muttered.

"Shh. Stay confident baby." I smirked as we tried to ignore the guards and made our way towards the entrance.

"Stop please. Your identity?" One of the macho guys put his arm in front of the door and the other questioned us.

"We're here to see Mister Robert Burten," I answered confidently, with a cheeky smile.

The guy informed somebody on his ear phone about us while we tried to make the most fake faces we could ever make.

After a few seconds, he nodded as a gesture of yes and the bar doors opened for us.

Here we go!