Chapter 18

"Cassie? You alright?" Rodrick pricked a needle into my vast thoughts.

"No.." I said in a low voice, almost whispering. "Uh, I mean yes. I'll get going now then. I have some hard work to do," I said with a forced smile while getting up and left the cabin trying to dodge my boss's frowning and confused eyes.

"Oh and listen!" He called from behind while quickly following me. I looked around to face him. "As I said, it isn't a piece of cake, so there will be someone else accompanying you too."

"But Sir...,"

"I'm sure you'd love to have her by your side, girl," He cut me off, smirking. "Go and call her," He ordered an officer standing beside us.

I looked in the direction where the officer headed and before I could say or think or object any further, I saw a tall, young lady with dark brown hair tied high in a bun. She was dressed in black and blue and she had pinned her FBI badge on her belt. Her crystal blue eyes seemed to be sparkling with happiness. "Hello dear," She said giving me a million dollar smile.

"NO..WAY!" My jaw dropped as soon as I saw her and realised who she was.

"Yes way, baby," She winked while laughing.

"KATIE??!!" I said with a high, exciting, as well as confusing voice. I couldn't believe my eyes.

In no time, we rushed towards each other and hugged. That feeling was heavenly. I was meeting my bestest friend after so many years and there she was. An agent as well?! Clever little thing.

"See? I told you you would like her," Rodrick winked. "Now go on. Take a break and say your greetings. But control over here. This is a serious workplace," He warned while going back in his office.

We rushed outside with our mouths wide open in smiles. "Soo, you liked my surprise?"

"Liked?? Katieee! You shouldn't even ask that. I mean, how did you..how could you..I mean what the fudge, girl?" I exclaimed, trying hard to realise that this was not a dream.

She burst out laughing. "You can enter this world and I cannot? I think you forgot that we were one soul. You're like my twinnie, idiot. Our likes and dislikes are quite same and our life motives as well. And above all, how could I leave you alone here in this risky place?" She punched me lightly on the shoulder.

I hugged her again. "I missed you, stupid."

"I bet I missed you more, monkey."

"But since when did you become so good at giving surprises?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Welll...,"

"By the way, how did you even end up here? And on that mission?"

"I'm here to take you with me back where you belong. Where we belong. I joined FBI a month before you did. I knew you would opt this field as well. And I kept checking up on you from my sources." She narrowed her eyes. "So anyways, unexpectedly, my workplace took me as a threat. Because of my father working at the same place, and luckily, with some coincidences, I managed to do a good work without making any blunders. And of coursee, my good looks."

"Oh please. You look like a constipated duck to me. Anyways, continue."

She made an angry face at me, after which she continued, "My boss was sending me on a mission in another town when I heard from father that Robert Burten's case was opening again. I pleaded boss to recommend me on this case instead and allow me to leave the country. I knew you were to be given this case."

"Wow..I'm..I don't know what to say. Katie how did you manage to do all this? And what about Uncle Sam? How did he allow you?"

"He didn't want me to go at first. But then allowed me himself. I made an oath to do what he couldn't do in the past." She took a pause. "That Roberti made us leave our home, our country, our relatives, everything. He took your father from you, and we had to leave you all by yourself. There had to come a time when we'd stop hiding under our sheets and make him pay. I am not a little girl anymore, who couldn't have a say in our emigration back then." She sighed.

I put a hand around her shoulder as my eyes turned watery. "I'm glad you're here. We'll fight this war together."

"Forever and always." She smiled.