Chapter 33

"Elan..I.." I managed to open my mouth as I controlled my tears.

"Shh! You don't have to explain anything. I know, Cassie. I know everything now." Elan replied quickly before I could say anything else, stopping me from breaking apart.

"I can't do this," I uttered the sad reality while dodging his eyes. Life had put me in a peculiar situation. "Thank you for saving me twice, but I have to go now." I geared up the courage and said the words in a stiff tone as I controlled my emotions and took my hand away from him.

"Cassie, hate me if you want. Do whatever you want to do with me. But just tell me one thing. What is my fault? Hm?"

"Elan..." I finally made an eye contact with him, but words weren't willing to come out of my mouth. All I wanted to say was his name. Over and over again.

"Just listen to me. I..I am sorry. I know these apologies can't bring back your dad, but Cassie..I have no other choice. I lost my mother too. I know how it would have felt. In fact, I know it was even harder for you." He looked down and after taking a deep breath, continued, "Whole my life, I had everything. I had everything, yet I felt so empty inside. I never cared for anybody else, but my mom. And when you came in my life, even for a short while, I felt different. It might be sounding weird to you, but you gave me hope for a better life. Whenever I saw you, I felt like I can do something. I felt like I can do anything." His sparkling eyes acted as an evidence for his truthfulness. I found myself lost in them when he spoke further, "It was me who came in your life, became your friend, yet couldn't take care of you." With this, his head bowed and I found the warmth of my tear on my cheek.

"I..I don't know what to say," I muttered. "Elan, you came in my life without my consent, but I still had no regrets. It's not like I didn't start developing feelings for you. I know you're not like your dad, but after all that has happened, and all that is going to happen...I don't know if we should see each other."

"I know why you're worried. You want Robert Burten behind the bars."

This day had to come. I just nodded on his statement and waited for him to say something further.

"Shall we get going then?" He said while picking up a laptop bag from beside his chair.

"What?" I asked him in confusion as he opened the bag and took out some papers from within.

"Who's wrong shall be punished. These are some illegal documents relating to the guy you're looking for. And oh!" He took out the security cameras that I and Katie had installed in his house. He put them on the table. "I'm sure this will be enough evidence."

Before I could comprehend and respond to the situation, Katie popped up from nowhere.

"I hope you guys have settled your..." She stopped when she saw the papers and cameras on the table. "Oh God, Elan?! You're a gem, buddy!" She smiled in amazement. "But, you do know what you're doing, right? Your dad..I mean. Even your company can be sealed."

"It wasn't my company anyway." Elan sighed while getting up.

"Wait! Where are you going?" I immediately spoke with a tensed look on my face.

"I don't think you'll be needing me now." He smiled and went away.