32.

Jue.

I came from my room, going into the kitchen. I had just got off of work and noticed Evi called me. Once i did call back though, she didn't answer. We haven't been able to catch each other's calls since her first call. Looks like we're just not going to talk.

It had been about two weeks now and Terrance was discharged from the hospital. I pulled the chair out beside him, sitting down as both Mom and Amir ran around the kitchen, cooking.

"How you feeling?" I asked him, honestly wanting to punch him in the face but I still cared. He did a so/so motion with his hand.

"Alright. Still hurting but the medicine helping." I nodded, looking towards them cooking. When he was beat, they broke a rib and he had a fracture in his back. It was other minor injuries like a black eye and swollen jaw but he honestly was fortunate enough to be alive.

"Aye, Jue." I faced back to him, raising my eyebrows. "I just want to genuinely say thank you. Thanks for being there not only for me but mom, Amir, and Tevon. Thanks for doing what I was supposed to do. I messed up and I regret it had to take this for it to open my eyes. I know I broke a lot of promises but I'm serious this time when I say this; I promise to man up and live up to my responsibilities dealing with my family and most importantly my son. I just hope that I at least come close to being the man you are, brother."

He said and I felt it. It didn't feel fake like all those other empty promises he made, it felt genuine and sincere. I nodded, a slight smile forming over my face. He patted my shoulder and grabbed the back of my neck, pulling our foreheads together.

"I love you man. Thank you foreal." He said and patted my neck. I did the same with him.

"Love you too T. I'm glad you're finally back." We let go of each other as I heard the doorbell.

I got up to get it before looking at mom and Amir. "Why are y'all cooking all this food anyways?"

"Yeah ma, why are we?" Amir furrowed his brows while looking at her, confused as well. She smiled and looked between the three of us.

"I'm just so glad to have all my babies back." I shook my head from the mushy talk and trailed to the door.

Forgetting to look out first, I simply unlocked the door and opened it. My heart dropped as I shut it back quickly and opened it again but much slower.

"You gonna let me in or keep closing the door in my face soldier?" My dad said chuckling.

"Yo!" I yelled, lunging to him in a hug. We swayed from each side as he laughed and patted my back. I held on to him tightly, feeling like a little kid or a little bitch like Amir.

I pulled back from him, wiping under my eyes with my arm and sighed loudly. He smiled. "Good to see you son, you're looking good." I nodded.

"You too dad." I croaked before clearing my throat.

"You get it from me." He said making me laugh as he closed the front door. He started walking through the house, putting his finger over his lips towards me. I nodded and understood he wanted to surprise them.

"Jue who was at the door?" I heard my mom yell as we walked into the kitchen. Terrance looked at dad with wide eyes as Amir turned around and dropped the bowl he was holding.

"D-da-" I shushed Amir before he could finish. Dad made his way over to mom and hugged her from behind tightly.

"Jue get off me."

"It's not Jue." He said and she turned around quickly, yelling at the top of her lungs. We covered our ears as she was lifted into his arms. He spined her around as she hugged around his neck, tears streaming from her eyes.