IT'S COMPLICATED - CHAPTER XVIII

*CHAPTER XVIII*

"The only girl I ever loved in my life is now married to my best friend." That's what Soren and I read on Mikkel's letter for me.

That's when I got an idea that it was... Me. I was what Mikkel was talking about.

"I felt sorry to Mikkel that I didn't fell for him, but I am sure that I didn't have the wrong choice of marrying you." I looked at Soren.

He hugged me tightly, "Cross my heart, I wouldn't do a thing to make you cry. I would never be the reason for your sadness. I might not be able to give you the universe, but I can give you my whole life."

"I knew our baby would have the best Dad in the world." I smiled. "Anyway, wonder what Kare wrote."

Here we go again. Confession times were, I think, one of the most dramatic moments of my life, especially when knowing I am the reason for someone else's tears.

*FLASHBACK TO THE CHRISTMAS WHEN I WAS 15*

"Wanna sing a song, Kare? You're the only one left!" Jascha said.

"Alright. Mikkel can you hand me your guitar?"

We never saw Kare play the guitar. I guess this time we will.

"This is... Dedicated to the girl of my dreams." He said.

"I hope she's listening now!" I told him.

"I hope."

What an amazing song he was singing. Probably the best song performed by the 5 of us.

"The neighbourhood kids

Are having so much fun

Counting down the days

'Til Santa Claus comes

And I see the mistletoe

Hangin' from my door

I wish that I could kiss you again

Like I did before

Christmas won't be the same this year

Without her loving arms holding you so near"

Kare was looking at me, with tears starting to build up on his eyes. I could really feel how he wanted that girl to be his.

"I can feel how he misses that girl." I whispered to Soren.

"Anyway everyone, I would just want to give this gift to Lizzy. Since she has been a really kind, caring and thoughtful friend to me, I know she deserves this." Kare said.

"Thanks a lot!" I sweetly smiled at him.

"None for me? For Jascha? For Soren?" Mikkel laughed.

We just laughed at it.

"Where's Lizzy's boyfriend?" Mikkel looked at Soren. "Any gift for her?"

"Awwww Soren doesn't have one.... Awwww" Jascha felt sad.

"Here, Lizzy." Soren gave me his gift. "Come, I'll show you my gift."

Soren and I both went upstairs. Of course I would want to open the gifts already.

"Soren's gift is a baby! Ha ha ha!" Mikkel laughed.

"Duh! I don't have rights to do that with her yet! Wait until we get married!"

My surprise, Soren gave me the dress I always long to buy for on our last trip in New York. It was a long sleeved blue and white dress with a touch of floral design. The dress fits me perfectly.

"How did you remember this was what I wanted?" I cheerfully asked.

"Actually the moment when you were eating your lunch, I got back to that store and bought it. I didn't really want to make you notice that I actually bought that as a gift for Christmas."

"Thoughtful you are!"

"Wait, just stand there. I'm gonna give you one more thing."

I was still standing in front of the mirror, enjoying my new dress.

"I hope you like this." He smiled at me.

It was a beautiful heart-shaped Swarovski necklace.

"I asked my friend in Russia to buy this. Price won't be a worry to me. Merry Christmas."

"Thank you very very much. Merry Christmas too."

"And you deserve them all. You know what, anything you wear, you look extremely beautiful. You're simply beautiful inside out that's why. Beauty, brains and attitude just caught me!"

"I'm flattered!"

"Just saying the truth, madame! Anyway, I'll wait for you downstairs. Enjoy your first few moments of having them."

When Soren left the room, I opened Kare's gift. It wasn't really big, but it feels heavy.

As I opened it, a piece of paper fell on the floor without my notice. And oh! It's a beautiful blue bracelet with a few Swarovski in it. Matches the dress Soren gave me.

I wish I could tell them that I do appreciate the gifts they gave me. But what really matters to me is that, I had such an amazing year because they were there. They were there for me all year round.

I am most blessed to have the most supportive family, the most caring friends: Jascha, Mikkel and Kare, a very loving boyfriend Soren, and most of all, I want to thank God for giving me a year with them.

Without noticing about the piece of paper that fell, I got downstairs, with my new dress, necklace and bracelet.

Little did I know the piece of paper was a little note from Kare.

"I'm not an actor, I'm not a star.

And I don't even have my own car.

But I'm hoping so much you will stay.

That you will love me anyway."

*RETURNS BACK TO PRESENT*

So I have done reading Kare's and Mikkel's letter for me. What really caught my attention with these letters wasn't the fact that they both fell in love with me, instead it was the postscript that says, "I'll never love another if it wasn't Elisha Campbell."

Next letter to read, Jascha's. Wonder what he would say.

*CONTINUED ON CHAPTER XIX*