Prologue

A/N: Hi, guys! I am so glad to finally be starting this book! :D Here is the Prologue - I hope you enjoy it!! It's a little different from the Prologues I've written before :3

"Mummy!" my daughter came running up to me with her brother and holding a messy piece of paper, "Mummy, look! Me and Adam drew a picture of you, and daddy, and us!"

I smiled down at her tiredly; gently taking the scribbly drawing and inspecting it more carefully.

"It's beautiful!" I tried to sound as enthusiastic as I could, "How long did you two work on this?"

"It doesn't matter, mummy," my son spoke up happily, "we were happy to do it!"

"Well, it's a very pretty picture," I smiled down at both of them, "well done, both of you," I then stood up and straightened out my dress, "now, are we ready to go to kindy?"

"Yes!" The two of them said cheerfully.

I chuckled softly. "And you can both draw even more beautiful pictures."

"Yes, mummy! We will! Won't we, Hazel?" Adam looked at his sister.

"Uh-huh!" Hazel grinned, "C'mon, mummy, let's go to kindy!"

"I'm coming," I shut my laptop and stood up from my chair, hurriedly going after my over-excited four-year-olds as they both ran towards the front door.

The three of us made it outside and piled into the car; and I snuck a smile at both of them sitting in the back seat before starting up the engine.

***

"Good morning, Deidre," Catherine – Adam & Hazel's favourite caretaker, and one of my good friends, smiled at me as she saw me enter through the gate with my kids, "how are you?"

"Morning, Catherine," I gave her a faint smile, "could be better. Today's making me a bit anxious,"

"I don't blame you," she looked at me sympathetically, "has there been, er...any word?"

"Not yet," I sighed.

"Do Adam & Hazel know?"

"Not yet," I said again with an anxious bite of my lip, "I...don't know how to tell them,"

"Well, I reckon they'd both be a bit surprised if they come home today and see-"

"I know," I interrupted her quickly, "I'll...figure something out. Thanks, Catherine."

"Anytime, Deidre," she smiled at me.

I smiled back faintly and took a deep breath before putting on a bigger smile to face Adam & Hazel.

"Since when does mummy not get a cuddle?" I pretended to pout at them.

They both giggled and ran to me as I crouched down with open arms, and they leaped towards me and threw their arms around my neck – making me laugh.

"Goodbye, my darlings," I whispered to them, "have a wonderful day."

"Bye, mummy!" Hazel said with a grin.

"We love you!" Adam chimed in happily.

They both gave me smacking, sloppy kisses on both my cheeks; and I smiled brightly before kissing both of them back. I then reluctantly released them from my arms – watching them with a distant smile as they ran off into their kindy. I then sighed and rose unsteadily to my feet; biting my lip and lowering my eyes as a feeling of loneliness suddenly washed over me.

"Don't worry, Deidre," Catherine smiled at me, "we'll take good care of them."

"I know," I smiled back, "goodbye, Catherine."

She waved goodbye to me as I left through the gate once again; climbing back into my car and starting it up.

I had barely been on the road for five minutes when my phone suddenly rang. A glimmer of hope rushed through me as I began to pray that this was the call I'd been waiting for since I'd woken up this morning. I quickly pulled over to the side of the road and answered the call without checking the Caller ID.

"Hello?" I said into the phone a little too eagerly.

"Hey," my best friend's voice replied, "just checking in with you, Deids."

"Oh," I deflated a little, "hey, Charlie."

"Don't sound too excited to hear from me," I could tell she was rolling her eyes, "but...I suppose I can't blame you. I guess you were expecting a different call. Today's the day, huh?"

"Uh-huh," I swallowed nervously.

"Any word yet?"

"Not yet," I replied with a sigh, "I'm beginning to think they changed their minds."

"Hey – no. Don't start with the pessimism," she told me sternly, "they'll call you, Deids. I promise they will. Or if they don't call, then they'll at least try to contact you in some other way."

"Yeah – I know," I bit my lip, "I'm sorry, Charlie. I'm just...getting worked up."

"I'm sure you are. But...just try to stay positive, OK?"

"Mhmm," I nodded.

"Good. I'll call you later, OK?"

"Yeah," I nodded again, "bye, Charlie."

"Bye, Deids."

I ended the call with another deep sigh; breathing in & out shakily before starting up the car and driving off once again.

***

When I got back home, I sat back down in front of my laptop and opened it; unable to stop myself from checking my email. I felt my face light up as I saw that I had one unread message, but I deflated completely as I realised that it was just an email from Noelle – my secretary.

Good morning, Mrs Styles,

As you requested, attached are the résumés of the five new applicants from last week. I do understand that today is a big day for you, but it would be greatly appreciated if you could even just look them over.

Best wishes from me and all of your staff about today.

Regards,

Noelle

I sighed and rubbed my eyes stressfully, tapping out a quick 'Thank-you' reply to Noelle and exiting my email – deliberately ignoring her requests to look over the attached résumés and instead shutting my laptop and letting out a shaky sigh.

What's going on?

Why aren't they contacting me?

Oh God, please. Please tell me they haven't changed their minds.