Twenty-Two

-One Year Later-

I stared down at the blue stick in my hand despondently as I slowly made my way downstairs and back to the dining room – where Harry was packing up his briefcase on top of the dining table. However, as soon as he saw me, he immediately dropped everything he was doing and rushed over to me excitedly.

"Well?" He asked me hopefully.

I only lowered my eyes and sighed before I dismally displayed the stick to him; and his face immediately fell as soon as he saw those two miserable words.

Not Pregnant.

"Negative again?" He asked sadly.

I only gave him a silent nod; biting down on my bottom lip and whimpering as I felt my eyes starting to well up with tears.

"Hey..." Harry had immediately noticed this and took me gently by the waist, "no...Deids...don't cry, baby, please..."

"That's the third test we've tried this week, Harry," I whimpered again, "let's face it. It didn't happen. I give up."

Harry lowered his eyes and sighed. "God...I was almost certain that it would come up positive today..."

"Me too," my bottom lip began to tremble, "my period's been so consistent these past three months...a-and I was so sure that..." my voice trailed away as I lifted my arm to wipe my eyes with the back of my hand, "but I guess the irregular pattern decided to come back..."

"Maybe we're just buying the tests too early?" Harry suggested.

I shook my head. "I'm already two weeks late, Harry. We'd be able to see the results by now if I were pregnant."

Harry sighed again. "I guess...not this time, huh..?"

I sniffled and shook my head once more.

"Not this time," I whispered sadly.

"It's OK, Deids," Harry gave me a small, sad smile, "it's disappointing, but...we'll get a baby someday, love."

"I know, but..." I lowered my eyes, "it would've been such an amazing way to celebrate our first anniversary..."

"Yeah. It would've. It really would've, Deidre," he placed his fingers beneath my chin and tilted my face upwards so that I could meet his eyes, "but we can still have that dinner date I reserved," he smiled at me again.

I chuckled softly and just managed to break out a faint smile back. "Yeah. You're right. Dinner is great," I bit down on my bottom lip anxiously as I still noticed a hint of sadness in his eyes, "but you're still unhappy about the test, aren't you?"

"Yeah. A little," he sighed, "but I'll push through it, Deids. We both will."

"I'm sorry, Harry..." I felt a tear starting to slide down my face, "I-I'm so sorry..."

"It's not your fault, babe," Harry used his thumb to lovingly wipe my tear away, "I guess those pills are working after all, huh?"

His comment made me chuckle quietly once more. "Yeah. I guess they are," I then cleared my throat and smiled at him, "anyway, what're you still doing here? You have an important day today. You need to start jetting off to work, Haz."

Harry looked hesitant. "Are you sure you'll be alright? Because I can take the morning off if you-"

"No," I shook my head, "no, baby, you have that big meeting with that big CEO guy from Sydney. He would've taken a long-ass flight to get here, you know."