Two

My best friend Charlie had already graduated from high school. Like me, she was a waitress & bartender at a pub only a few blocks away from my parents' - where I worked. Only difference was, she worked there full time and therefore earned a lot more than me. She rented a flat in a small apartment building only a 10-minute walk away from my house. I was always welcome there anytime - I've even stayed there a few nights with her when I was honestly just so done with my family.

And right now - I was hoping to stay over once again.

She only had a one-bedroom apartment, so usually one of us slept on the floor while the other slept in Charlie's bed, or if it was cold, we'd both sleep in her bed. But no matter which one it was, I really needed to let everything out, and Charlie's the perfect listening ear.

I just really hope she's not busy tonight.

I quickly wiped away some escaping tears from my sore, red eyes as I approached the door to the apartment building. I had to squint at the buzzer panel since my teary eyes were making it hard for me to find Charlie's apartment number.

In the end, I finally found it.

Apartment 6F.

I pressed the button with a sniffle, and waited.

"Hello?" Charlie's voice soon crackled through the system's crappy intercom.

"It's me," I tried my best to hide the shakiness in my voice as I spoke.

"Oh, hey! Come on up."

I heard a buzz as the apartment building's main doors unlocked. I took a deep breath and took hold of the handles - pulling the doors open slowly and entering the complex. I entered the elevator and made it to the 6th floor - and I kept walking until I finally reached apartment 6F. I swallowed the lump in my throat and quietly knocked on the door.

"It's open, Deids!" I heard Charlie call me from inside.

I gulped and placed my hand on the doorknob - turning it slowly and making the door open with a quiet creak. I slipped inside Charlie's apartment and used my back to close the door. I then gave a shaky sigh as I began to walk towards her.

She was leaning over the kitchen bench; scooping some neopolitan ice-cream into a bowl and humming to herself.

"Hey, sorry I couldn't answer the door," she began to turn around, "I was kinda - oh my God," her eyes widened as she met my tearful face, and she immediately deserted the bowl of ice-cream to rush to me, "Deidre, w-what happened..?!"

"I..." I felt my bottom lip tremble, "I'm sorry, I...I didn't know where else to go..."

As I suddenly got painfully reminded of what I came home to tonight, I immediately broke down into tears all over again. I heard Charlie gasp and immediately pull me into a hug; and my forehead collapsed against her shoulder as I continued to sob.

"What happened, Deids?" She asked me again, "Is it your parents again?"

I shook my head and let out a wail; urging Charlie to tighten her grip around me and gently stroke my hair as she began to shush me quietly.

"I-It's Sean..." my voice was a weak, whispery whimper, "he...h-he..."

Charlie stayed silent and waited for me to continue.

"He cheated on me..."

I began to weep even harder at my confession.

"What?!" I could tell Charlie's jaw had dropped, "No. I refuse to believe it. He...he loves you, Deidre..."