Chapter 4: Risking it All

All it had been was yelling for the past three days in the Severide house. Corin had to leave tomorrow morning and had told everyone besides Regan.

Skylar was upset but didn't show it. She just smiled and pushed through. But how could she live without her mother, her role model and now her mom was just up and leaving.

Skylar through on Owen's jersey and was ready to go. Corin had already left for work, so Kelly waited for the kids to leave.

"Dad, are you okay?"

"I'm fine baby girl. Don't worry about me. How are you doing?"

"I'm excited for the game tonight! Got the jersery and everything"

Kelly laughed and hugged her.

"Uh, you're such a dork"

They heard the familiar sound of a horn and Skye smiled.

"Owen offered to pick me up. I'll see you at the game?"

"I'm gonna try to be there. Bye, have fun"

"I will!"

Skye smiled and drove off with Owen. Cass and Alex got on the bus leaving just Kristen and Kelly.

"Kristen! We gotta go!"

"I'm coming!"

Kristen came down stairs mad and ready to go.

"Kristen what's wrong?"

"Mom! She's just leaving us! It's wrong!"

"I know. We'll be okay though. She'll come back"

"She's being stupid"

"Hey! I don't care if your mad at her. She is still your mother and you'll respect her. Now let's go"

Kristen had a frustrated slash guilty look on her face. Kelly drove her to school and then headed to work himself. He was feeling a mix of emtions. Regret because that he yelled at Corin, anger because she's leaving their family to put herself in danger, and Sadness because the love of his life is leaving.

When he pulled up to firehouse he grabbed his bag, heading inside. Matt and Gabby have been helping Kelly these last few days to improve his mood.

"Hey man. How are you doing?" askes Matt.

"I'm ok. It'll be hard tomorrow morning and from then on. Once she's gone I'm gonna be a mess inside. But what's even worse is the kids!"

"I was just gonna ask how they're taking it" said Gabby as she walked over.

"Kristen was mad this morning and called Corin stupid. Cass supports it and so does Alex. I mean they're sad still though. I guess they just want her to stay safe"

"What about Skye?" asked Matt.

"I don't know to be honest. She's just like her mother. She stuffs down her feelings and then explodes like I do"

"You didn't try asking her?" asked Gabby.

"I tried! She just says she's fine and goes into her room. She's the one I worry about the most. Being the oldest and all. It's just hard"

"Skye just needs some space to work things out herself. She's old enough to need to do that, so let her. If it starts to get really bad, that's when you step in" said Gabby.

"Okay. I just need my kids to be okay"

That night Skylar was wearing jeans and the white jersey. It was almost half-time and her team was winning. Carly was sitting next to her and Freya was in her other side.

"Carly this is my friend Freya. Freya this is my friend Carly"

They waved at each other and smiled.

"Nice to meet you" said Freya.

"Likewise" stated Carly.

"So are you two in the same classes?" asked Carly.

"Yeah! It turned out funny that way. Plus in honors biology we are lab partners all year" smiled Skylar.

"That reminds me what's the plan for tonight?" asked Freya.

"You're spending the night at my house. So Owen will take us home" said Skye.

"Isn't your mom leaving tomorrow morning though?" asked Carly.

"Crap! Yeah. Look Fre-"

"It's fine Skye. We do everything together. We can do it tomorrow night!"

"Okay! Owen will drop you off at your house then. But we still have tonight!"

They sat and watched the game while Kelly was almost off shift. They were in there way to the last fire of the night.

Once they arrived Truck and Squad suited up and went in. There was part of the house that was untouched by the flames. Kelly and Capp were crawling around on the floor try to get the kid out from under the table.

"Come on buddy... it's okay" cooed Kelly.

The kid shook his head. Kelly looked around and saw that this place could go anytime now. He pulled his radio up to his mask.

"Chief we got a scared kid in here!" yelled Kelly.

"Is he hurt?"

"Doesn't look like it. But he won't come to us"

Kelly waited and then he heard one command that would change everything.

"Dawson's on her way up!"

Dawson through on her jacket and helmet, then headed to Kelly. When she got there Kelly moved over and pointed under the table. Capp had left so there were only two people left in the building, Matt and Hermann.

"Buildings clear!" cried Matt over the roar of the flames.

"Alright clear out! This building's gonna flash"

Matt and Hermann came bursting out and dropped the helmets. They drank water and Matt went to turn to Gabby.

"Cheif! Where's Dawson?" questioned Matt.

"I sent her in with Severide. I ordered a pull back and they aren't out yet"

Mouch, Hermann, and Boden held Matt from running in.

"Casey! No one is going in! That's an order!" yelled Boden.

Casey dropped to his knees and waited. Everyone from 51 was surrounding him.

Inside the fire was starting to lick the walls. Gabby was talking sweetley to the little boy. He looked about three and his name was Louie.

"Louie. I'm gonna help you. Please"

"Dawson we gotta get out of here. This place is gonna go. Now"

Louie looked at Gabby and then came running to her. She wrapped him in her coat and the headed out. As they walked down the flaming hallway towards the front door, the building flashed. Gabby and Louie were throw to the ground with Kelly right besides them. And one single beam came crashing down.