Chapter 11: Somewhat of a Christmas

As day turned into night the glistening lights wrapped around the christmas tree shined. It was Christmas Eve in the Severide house. There were gifts under the tree, kids alseep in their bedrooms, and people were happy.

Down the street Regan had just got Dylan to fall asleep after she woke up again. Regan ended up having to feed you to get her back to sleep. As Regan sat in the old wooden rocking chair, gently rocking back and forth with her daughter sleeping in her arms, Regan peered out the window. Little snowflakes were falling from the creating a fresh blanket of snow on top of the old snow. It was beautiful outside.

Back at the Severide's Corin and Kelly had been on the rocks once again. They were argueing about the fact that Corin kept what happened overseas from him. Now they had finally worked things out, making them both happy. They laid under the Christmas tree fingers intertwined in each others.

"It's just so pretty" coed Corin.

"Yeah it is. It really is" agreed Kelly.

"I love you so much. I just need you to know that I love you and couldn't imagine life without you"

"Hey. I love you too. Where's this all coming from.

"Since I got back I just keep thinking about what would have happened if I lost you in the explosion 8 years ago. You were almost dead Kelly and that was terrifying for me. Let alone the other issues that were going on the day"

"Corin..."

"No. You and the people involved in the explosion act like it was just you guys that was hurt. But it wasn't. That day I had to be a wife in the waiting room. I was a sobbing mess because I didn't even know if you were alive. I thought I was going to be left to raise our five kids on our own Kelly"

"I didn't know any of this. Wait. Five? What are you talking about? We have four kids"

"By some freakin Jesus miracle I got knocked up again. I miscarried while you were in the coma. I went through a trauma that day too"

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because you were recovering! We had the kids to worry about, the 51 family and you were worried about not being able to work again. How could I bring that up when we were stressed to the max?"

"I get that but you waited 8 years to tell me? Why now?"

"Because I almost died! I was almost killed over there and once again it made me realize how short life is. I knew it was 8 years too late but it's been a busy 8 years"

"I can't believe you've been dealing with this all on your own. Babe, I'm so sorry"

"I don't care about our mistakes as long as we are together. I can't bare the thought of loosing you"

"Well it's the price we both pay. I'm a firefighter and your a detective. We put our lives on the line every day to protect the city of Chicago. That's never gonna change"

"Because it's who we are. We walk those lines. I just worry sometimes that one day I'm gonna get a call that you... didn't make it out and that terrifies me"

"You don't think I feel the same way? Everyday you leave in then morning I think about how blessed I am to have you and how proud I am of you for making your dreams come true. But I also worry that I'm gonna get a call from Antonio or somebody that you've been shot and it was too late. Every time you step out that door I worry. And it's all because of one thing"

"Love. It's what makes us complete and what years us apart. We put are lives on the line for our city and we've learned to deal with the fear. That doesn't mean neither of us are going to worry, it means we can understand it"