Chapter 19: Risking It All for the One You Love

Skylar looked down at her phone while sneaking it under her desk. She hated Biology so she always just texted her friends instead. Suddenly she saw Owen was calling her. She bent her head so she was crouched down behind her table.

"Owen! I'm in class! What do you want?!" whisper yelled Skye.

"Skye, your dad was in an accident. Connor is calling you, me, and Carson out to go to Chicago Med, if you want. I'm sorry," softly spoke Owen.

"What?! Are you messing with me right now?!" replied Skylar, holding back tears.

"Squad and Truck crashed into each other. My mom said it's a madhouse. I'm sorry Skye."

Just as Skylar went to reply she saw her teacher appear in front of her, tapping her foot in disapproval.

"Ms. Severide, I will take that. And then you will get back to your work," grimmly ordered the teacher.

"No," growled Skylar as she got up and put her backpack on, "I'm leaving."

"Sit back down, now! You have no pass and no one has called to give you permission to leave!" argued the teacher, blocking her path.

"If you don't move I swear I will knock over to get the hell out of here."

The teacher went wide eyed at the harshness in Skylar's down. She moved out of the way as Skylar hustled towards the door.

"Don't think I won't be letting the principal know about this Ms. Severide!" cried the teacher as Skylar bounded out of the classroom.

She headed for the side door where she saw Carson and Owen just approaching. She quick caught up to them. Carson saw the mix of sadness and anger in her face. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her to him as he walked.

"How did you get here so fast? The office just called us down and you were all the way on the other side of the school," stated Owen as they walked to his car.

"I may have gotten a head start. Mrs. Jensen caught me on the phone with you, tried to keep me from talking and then from leaving. So I may have threatened her so she let me leave. Doesn't matter. What did your mom tell you?" asked Skye as she leaned into Carson.

"She just said he was in surgery and your mom is on her way now. Oh and that truck and squad crashed into each other. But Casey and your dad seem to have gotten the worse of it," explained Owen.

"Your Uncle Jay's on his way there too," added Carson.

Carson and Skylar jumped in the backseat while Owen hopped in the driver's seat. Skylar felt like crying as Owen drove to the hospital. She was exhausted of everything in her life going wrong, it made her want to relapse. Skylar fought the erg and instead buried her face into Carson's shoulder. She just wanted everything to be okay for once.

At the hospital, Corin sat in the waiting room. She had just arrived to find Gabby and everyone who was uninjured from 51 sitting in the waiting room. The ER doors opened and in walked Regan with baby Dylan. Regan locked eyes with Corin, heading straight towards her. Corin's blue eyes glistened with tears as Regan wrapped her in a hug.

"I brought Dylan. I figured you needed something to distract you," slightly smiled Regan.

"Thanks Reegs. I needed some distraction," admitted Corin.

She held Dylan for a while before she began to get grumpy. Regan took her back to feed her, leaving Corin alone to think. Suddenly the doors opened and she saw the one person she needed most right now, Jay. He walked over to her and wrapped his arms tight around her. She felt safe in her brother's embrace. It was like he was keeping her from falling apart. Just then her cell phone rang, getting her attention.

"Hello?" answered Corin, confused as to who was calling her.

"Is this Detective Corin Severide? Skylar Severide's mother?" asked a male voice.

"Yes this is. Can I help you?"

"Skylar has been suspended from school and will possibly be expelled. Charges may be brought upon her as well. I'm sorry."

The man hung up without letting Corin get a word in. She let her hand fall to her side, a shocked look falling across her face. Jay looked at her, confused. She felt pure rage running through her veins. Without thinking she pulled back her fist, putting it through the glass mechanic ER doors. The sound of glass shattering filled the ER, getting everyone's attention. Choi and Jeff turned around, watching Corin wince in pain. The two doctors ran over time him, Choi bringing a rag. He wrapped it tightly around her sliced and bleeding hand. Jeff Clarke wrapped his hand around the rag, applying pressure.

In the waiting room everyone stared in shock. Violet stood up, then crashed to the ground. Brett rushed over to check for a pulse. Gabby couldn't believe what she was seeing. Choi looked back at Violet, then at Jeff and Corin.

"You got this?" asked Choi, talking to Jeff.

"Yeah, go help her," replied Jeff.

Choi hustled over to Violet while Jeff lead Corin into an open ER room. Choi lifted Violet up into his arms, taking her to a trauma room next door to Corin's room. Jeff slowly unwrapped her hand to see the damage done.

"So, you wanna tell me why you put your fist through the ER door?" asked Jeff, partially joking.

"Skye got suspended and will possibly be suspended and my husband may or may not make it through the night. Just yesterday we were planning our vow renewal and now... I just can't catch a freaking break," huffed Corin.

"So you punch a glass door?"

"It wasn't logical okay?! I'm just exhausted. It's one bad thing after another with us. I just need to be able to come up for a breathe of air. You know?"

"I get it. Just relax, think about the positive things. Do you want me to numb your hand while I go in and pull the little glass chunks out?" 

"No just do it. I'll be fine."

Out in the waiting room Owen, Skylar, and Carson sat. Skylar osculated herself from everyone, curling into a ball in the corner. Jay walked over to her, placing a hand on her back. She shrugged away from him which only caused him to get closer to her. He pulled her to him while she punched and kicked him until finally she let go. She sobbed into her uncle's chest while he held her tight.

"I just need him to be okay. I just need things to go well for once. I love him and I need him here."