Chapter 20: One Fatality

A quiet depression set over Chicago Med as they realized they lost one of their own. The plus side was that their has only been one fatality from the truck crash. Jay and Skylar sat together in the corner, Jay still holding on to her. Gabby sat with Eva, Sylvie, and Antonio with Louie asleep in her arms. Carson and Owen sat off to the side, waiting for Skylar to need them. Everyone was a mess, 51 had lost one of its own. Will walked out to the waiting room in blood stained scrubs, looking exhausted. He spotted Gabby and walked over to her.

"Family of Matt Casey."

Gabby stood up with Louie on her hip. Troy and Brooke stayed seated next to Eva, Brooke looking nervous. Eva rubbed her back and gave her a slight smile.

"Before I fill you in on Casey Dr. Choi asked me to let you know how Violet is. She's resting now, but before she had a fainting spell. She hasn't woken up yet but she should soon. We hooked her up to an IV as well," explained Will.

"Do you know why she fainted?" asked Gabby as she repositioned Louie.

"She was stressed out about Matt and Chase which caused her blood pressure to elevate. That combined with her pregnancy caused a fainting spell," explained Will.

"She's pregnant?!" exclaimed Gabby.

"Yes."

"Uh okay, how's Matt?"

"He's roughed up. We fixed his internal bleeding. We did have to do neurosurgery to release the pressure in his brain. He's doped up on pain meds now and he's gonna need crutches for his broken ankle. Overall, he's gonna be okay," explained Will.

"Thank you! Thank you! Can we go see him?" anxiously asked Gabby.

"Just you and the kids, yes."

Gabby walked with the kids down to Matt's room. The others just sat there, waiting. Down in the exam rooms Jeff was finishing with Corin's hand.

"You need to keep this guaze wrapped tight. Come find me in an hour to change it. You'll need a wrist brace too," explained Jeff as he rested his hand on her bare knee.

"Thanks Jeff. Just another bad thing to add to the list," sighed Corin.

"Hey, you may have a lot of bad things happen to your family but you have also had a bunch of good things happen to you. You're kids are healthy and happy, you love Kelly... you just have to remember the small things. This just hasn't been a good past year for you guys. I bet from here on good things will happen. Just think positive."

"Fine. I'll see you in an hour. I'm gonna go see if anyone had an update on Kelly."

Corin slipped on the black brace before leaving the room. She walked up to the desk where Maggie was standing.

"Hey, is Kelly out of surgery yet?" asked Corin, eyes full of sadness.

"Not yet. I'm sorry," replied Maggie.

Corin just nodded and headed towards the waiting room. Sylvie and Antonio sat out there talking with Eva. Corin looked around to see Jay holding her daughter, who was sobbing. The whole room was filled with a sadness. Corin shook it off as she walked over to sit in an empty chair. She looked around to see the ER doors fly open once again. This time it wasn't another patient being brought in, it was someone she recognized. There she saw her best friend,. She had long black air and green eyes to match. Corin texted with her but they hadn't seen each other since Corin came back from her first tour in the Marines. Corin hadn't even seen her when they lost the third part of there group, Skylar.

She couldn't believe her friend was here. She didn't understand why either. Finally the locked eyes, and that's when Corin lost it. Tears slid down her cheeks as her friend ran over to her. She wrapped her in a hug.