Chapter 42: I'll Always Love You

Nick woke up, a wave of grief hitting him. He had been staying at the Severide household for a week now, barely leaving his bedroom. But today was different, today was Eva's funeral. It was around noon when he emerged from the guest room, freshly showered and wearing a tux. Corin smiled at him weakly as he walked towards the kitchen.

"Did uh someone get Luna dressed?" asked Nick, exhausted.

"Skylar is changing her diaper right now and then she's ready to go. I thought we could all ride over there together," informed Corin, pouring Nick a thermos of coffee.

"Sounds good. I know I've been slacking in the father department so thank you and thank you for letting us stay here. We'll be getting out of your hair soon, I promise."

"You two are always welcome. Stay as long as you need to."

Skylar came strolling down the steps in a curvy black dress holding Luna who was wearing a black dress as well. A diaper bag was swung over Skylar's shoulder as she reached the living room.

"We got her a clean diaper and she's ready to go!" cheerfully smiled Skylar before looking up to see Nick, crying, "I'm sorry I didn't-"

"Skylar why don't you get Luna  in the car. Your dad and your siblings are waiting" kindly ordered Corin.

Skylar walked out to the car with Luna while Corin stayed with Nick. She rested a hand on his shoulder, comforting him. He sighed, wiping away his tears and straightening his jacket.

"I'm sorry. It's just... she looks so much like Eva. I can't even look at my own daughter! How am I supposed to go on with life without her?!" yelled Nick, feeling made a guilt-ridden.

"It's not gonna be easy, trust me. I lost my best friend when I was younger, so I know that this pain you're going through does get better. You'll never be completely healed of it, but you learn to manage it. Your a good father Nick, right now you just need some help."

Nick nodded before hugging Corin. When he pulled back he smiled slightly. The two of them walked to the car and climbed inside. Luna was in her carrier which was buckled in next to Skylar. Nick sat on the other side of Skylar while the four kids sat behind them. Kelly started up the car and drove, heading to the district. Nick turned to Skylar, getting her attention.

"Thank you, for taking care of Luna for my this past week. Now I see why Eva made you her godmother," smiled Nick, seeing Skylar's shocked expression.

"What?" asked a surprised Skylar.

"We were talking about the baptism which we planned for next week before... you know. The day that all happened she was supposed to ask you. When she told me she wanted you to be the godmother, I was confused. I mean you're a teenager, but now I get it. You may be a teenager age wise, but you act like a grown up. So, would you be Luna's godmother?" asked Nick, looking at Skylar, who as tears in her eyes.

"Yes," choked Skylar before clearing her throat, "Yes. I'd love too. Thank you."

"No, thank you. Luna seems to really like you. It looks like I've found a new babysitter," joked Nick.

In that moment he forgot that his wife was dead. He forgot that he was on his way to her funeral. In that moment, all he could think about was his future with his daughter.

"We're here," announced Kelly, pulling Nick out of his trance.

They all climbed out of the car, Skylar holding Luna. Nick mouthed a thank you, Skylar nodding back in response. Everyone from Intelligence was gathered around the front of the building were the stone plaques of all fallen officers were. Sylvie stood next to Antonio, her hand resting on his shoulder. His eyes had bags underneath them and were puffy, like he had been crying. Next to them stood Diego and his girlfriend Trinity. She had short black hair and green eyes. Diego seemed to cling to her, like if he let go he would crumble. Everyone fell silent as Trudy stood at the front of them all.

"Eva Dawson was an officer, a daughter, a sister, a wife, and a mother. She showed up to work everyday, excited to do good for her city. This district will miss her deeply," spoke Trudy, before unveiling Eva's plaque.

Nick stepped up, clearing his throat. Everyone looked it him with eyes full of sadness. He glanced at Skylar and Luna, gaining the courage to speek.

"Eva was my bestfriend and the love of my life. I remember the day I asked her father for his permission to marry her, I was scared of the great Antonio Dawson. But then I became his son-in-law and a father myself, I understood why he was harsh the first time he met me. We'd do anything for our kids. Eva would do anything for our little girl and it's a tragedy Luna won't get to grow up with her, but she'll never be forgetten. Rest in peace beautiful."

You could hear people sniffling and crying throughout the crowd. Diego patted Nick on the shoulder as he stood next to him. Sylvie looked at Antonio, knowing it was his turn to speak.

"I can't," choked out Antonio, tears hitting his cheeks.

"I'll do it," slightly smiled Corin, appearing next to Antonio.

He nodded as a thank you before Corin walked up to the front. She looked out at the crowd of friends and family, sighing.

"Eva was an amazing young woman. She's the kind of woman I want my own daughters to grow up to be. When I was moved up to Intelligence and partnered with Antonio, I never thought I'd become friends with his daughter. I know she's smiling down on us right now, thanking God for making her life great. And I know I'm thankful that God blessed me with having Eva in my life. She will be dearly missed by everyone who knew her. We love you Eva."

A few others said a few words about Eva before everyone parted ways. Antonio wrapped Corin in a hug, a few tears landing on her shoulders.

"Thank you. I just couldn't, it's too hard," admitted Antonio, his voice sounding strangled.

"Your my partner Antonio. You're like a brother to me. And if it makes you feel any better, I'll kick Laura's ass for not showing up," joked Corin, breaking the depressed mood.

"Oh that about pissed me off," chuckled Antonio as he pulled away.

"Well if she ever shows her face around here, she's in for an ass whooping."

"Well maybe I'll send her your way purposely," teased Antonio.

"You're gonna be okay Antonio, that I do know. You're one of the toughest guys I know. You'll get through this."