Chapter 34: Emotional Tragedy

She was dead. That's the first thing Alex thought when he saw his sister in the bathtub. He yelled, seeing what she had done. His hands shook as he dialed 911.

"This can't be happening. This can't be happening," repeatedly whispered Alex to himself as he waited to hear a voice on the other line.

"911 what's you emergency?" chirped the lady.

"My sister tried to kill herself," admitted Alex as tears fell down his cheeks.

"Okay. An ambulance is on the way. Where is she?"

"She's in the bathtub. Her wrists... are cut."

"Ok. I'm sending an ambulance to your residence. What's your address?"

A few miles away at the firehouse Kelly sat on the couch, waiting for shift to end. He felt his phone virbating in his pocket, then looked to see his son was calling him.

"Hey Alex what's up?" asked Kelly as everyone continued chatting.

Alex quickly told his dad everything, bringing tears to Kelly's eyes. He couldn't believe what he was hearing and he couldn't believe he was hearing it from his son.

"Oh my god. Alex... is there a pulse?"

Gabby walked over to Kelly, looking worried. Everyone was looking at Kelly now, concerned.

"Kelly, what's going on?" asked Gabby, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Kelly pulled the phone away from his mouth as he spoke, "Skylar tried to kill herself. Alex found her, wrists... slit in the bathroom."

A shocked silence fell over everyone. Kelly was searching his pockets for his car keys while listening to Alex talk through the phone. Suddenly the familar sound of fire house bells interrupted the silence.

Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, woman in danger. Possible squad and truck assistance. 67th North West Brooke.

"Alex, I'm on my way. 51 got the call. Stay on the phone with me okay? Alex is she breathing?" asked Kelly, his mouth dry.

"I can't find a pulse dad," whispered Alex through the phone.

Kelly slammed his fist against his leg before putting the phone back up to his ear. He couldn't believe this was happening.

"Alex were a block away. Just stay there. I love you."

"I love you too dad."

Kelly hung up as they pulled onto his street. As the truck came to a stop he saw Gabby and Sylvie rushing inside with the gurney, Matt behind them. As soon as the truck stopped Kelly jumped out and sprinted into the house. When he finally got into the bathroom he froze. His little girl was laying in the blood tinted water, wrists slashed. The tears that had been threatening to fall finally began rolling down his cheeks. Matt pulled Skylar out of the water and carried her to the gurney. Gabby rapidly wrapped clothes around Skylar's wrists and tightly taped them in place. Then just as quickly as they arrived, the left. Alex was frozen, he just sat on the bathroom floor, staring at the bathtub.

"Alex, let's go," ordered Kelly.

"No, Uncle Jay's units on his way to analyze the scene. I'll catch a ride with him," quietly said Alex.

"Okay buddy. I'm gonna go with your sister. Call me when your on your way."

Kelly left, leaving Alex all alone again. Alex just sat there, unaware that Matt had stayed behind to inform Intelligence of what they found on scene. He stood in the doorway of the bathroom, soaked in the mixture of bathtub liquid. The knees of Alex's jeans were stained red with the liquid, as well as his hands. Matt just stood there, watching the young man cry for his sister.

A few blocks away Carson finally arrived home from football practice. He plugged his dead phone into the charger. As soon as the screen lit up he saw he had 3 missed calls. One from his mother, one from his friend, and one from Skylar. He played his friends then he hit play on Skylar's voicemail. Her words hit him like a truck going full speed. He could barely breath as he began to feel hot tears fall down his cheeks.

"No, no no!" chanted Carson over and over again as he smashed his fist against the wall.

He couldn't believe what he was listening too. Then he thought maybe he was interpreting it the wrong way, maybe this was a break up not a suicide attempt. That's when he felt his phone vibrate in his hand. He looked down, hoping it was Skylar, but saw that it was Owen.

"What Owen?" asked Carson in a horse voice, trying to had the sadness from his voice.

"Carson, you should get down to Med," advised Owen in a quiet tone.

"Why?" questioned Carson, worry hinting in his voice.

"Skylar tried to kill herself."

The words rang through his ears, causing the tears to fall. Owen continued to talk, but Carson was lost in a pit of sorrow. He grabbed his phone and his wallet before sliding on his gym shoes. Lacking all logic he left the house and ran to Chicago Med. Everytime he took a step he heard Owen's words echo in his ears.

When he got to the hospital he ran into the ER, pulling sweat and dry heaving. Corin jogged over to him, seeing it was Carson. She handed him a water, which he chugged. Once he was finished he stood up straight, trying to catch his breath.

"Carson, what are you doing here?" asked Corin, still choked up about Skylar.

"She left me a voicemail. Did she..." trialed Carson, scared to hear the answer to his unfinished question.

"Yeah Carson, she did. Alex found her after practice."

"Oh my god. Is she gonna make it?"

"I don't know Carson. I hope so."

Corin and Carson both had tears in their eyes. Carson sat down in a chair away from everyone, wringing his hands. Corin laid on Kelly and cried herself to sleep. As it turned into night Samantha Rhodes stayed at the Severide household taking care of the kids. The bathroom had been cleaned and the clothes washed. It looked as if nothing had happened.

Alex crawled into bed, mind wide awake. He pulled the blanket up to his face and cried. He couldn't believe what had happened and he didn't want to.