Two Worlds Collide

Demi

I sat down across from Mac and carefully pulled the notes closer to me. I read them all, tears forming in my eyes with every word, and paused. The hate thrown my way slid off my back but a few things got stuck in my head.

I saw your bag under the stall, more like Demi than we thought huh? 

Has Mac been throwing up, she eats dinner with me just fine and we usually have breakfast together too, I don't understand I thought she would come to me. I noticed the first few notes weren't as horrible, mostly just warning her to watch her back and that they think she's a freak. 

I could tell they were getting worse and I went to tell her we would fix this when I noticed she still had a note scrunched up in her hand.

"Baby girl, is that one? Can I see it?" she shook her head and tightened her grip on the note as fresh tears spilled over her eyes, she scooted back until she hit the side of her bed where she stopped and looked at me "Baby I know you're scared but I can help, please let me see it" 

I saw her grip relax on the note but she still shook her slightly at me, I slowly made me way next to her and pulled her into a hug. She had her head on my chest, both of us leaning against the side of the bed, and I was rubbing small circles on her back. I could see her hand with the note in it laying in my lap and slowly used my left hand to release her grip on the note so I could read it.

She tensed up as the note left her hand and went to grab it back "Baby girl it's okay, we can do this; you don't need to be scared" she started crying again as she buried herself further into me. 

I opened the note and read it, tears falling down my face as I did. 

"I'm so sorry Demi, I didn't mean for this to happen. I thought it was okay now, I thought it would be different but I'm ruining everything"

"No baby girl, you didn't I promise. You've done nothing wrong okay? I'm going to fix this"

Mac

I had to get Demi out of my room so I could cut in peace "I just want to take a nap, please" I was shocked at how easily the lie fell from my mouth but even more surprised at the sharpness in my voice, I hadn't meant to be mean about it. I saw Demi flinch and felt even worse, she was just trying to help.

"Actually no, you can't nap right now, have you been eating at school properly?" my breath caught in my throat and my eyes locked onto hers. I wanted to tell her yes, I wanted to lie but I couldn't I was looking at her and I could see all the worry and concern and sadness in her eyes and I just couldn't. 

I slowly shook my head, I didn't trust my voice right now, and felt my heart break at the pain that flickered across her features. She had believed in me and trusted me and I had lied to her.

I waited for her to talk and was surprised when I heard my bedroom door slam and looked up to find Demi had left. I had been expecting to get yelled at or get a lecture for being a disappointment but instead she had left. I got up and chased after her and was met with her in her room. 

"Demi what are you doing?" she was shoving clothes into a bag and mumbling to herself, my voice broke her train of thought "I'm going to see my mom, well we both were but I think I'll cancel your ticket, if it's space you want then here you can have it" my mouth dropped open and my heart started pounding in my chest.

"W-what are you talking about, I-I didn't say anything about s-space!" my head was going crazy telling me she was getting ready to throw me out, she was done trying to help me and that she couldn't help me; I wasn't fixable like her.