chapter eight

08 - NEVER ENDING NIGHTS

▿ ▿ ▿

Madame Pomfrey has treated hundreds upon hundreds of children throughout her years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry both as an interning student under her predecessors watch and finally just as herself once she had finished all her medical training. Training of magic was not an uncommon thing in her household having been raised in a magical village with her mother and father as workers in the Ministry. Though if she were to compare any of her lessons in the medical world from a muggle to a wizards there would be hardly any differences. Both started with the basics of training in CPR, a standard procedure of working a defibrillator and how to wrap bandages around a wound properly. There were some key procedure based differences she had found in her line of work though and one of such she as never had to use... at least not until now.

She was not in her younger years, not by any means as she had been at the magical school for almost longer than the present Headmaster himself. Due to her lengthy term she was not at all surprised when students suddenly ended up ill or passing out unconscious with no rhyme or reason to it, at least not until she understood the purpose behind the problem. Most children she has learned at the school fall ill quicker when drained of most of their magical core, which only grows and strengthens within the wizards or witches spine throughout their years of living. It continues to grow not unlike a persons knowledge until the ends of their days. Though the nurse, has never had to watch through her specialized screens of magic as the wizards core attacked its own body and life force.

Upon seeing the strands of magic, weaving and unweaving meticulously from the spinal fluid and casing of the back of the neck, heart and lungs, she watched as bands broke off and attempted to break through the boy's tissue infused firewalls surrounding the vital organs. Though the firewalls were weakened to the point of unrest that they wouldn't withstand much longer without help. Without much more minutes to spare she sent out a call to the Headmaster to bring both Severus and Minerva to her quarters immediately as they had a stage three, code blue at the moment and she needed a stable source of both magic and knowledge to help her procure a possible cure for the dying boy.

Whilst waiting for the other adults to arrive the bigger and motherly depicted woman bustled about in her private stockpiles of medicinal supplies, glancing at half corroded or dusted away labels in hopes for one particular concoction to be present. Her usually tidy hair pulled back from her face now had irritating stripes of grey falling into her eyesight as she pulled and shoved multiple bottles around until she finally found the one she was looking for. It was no wider than that of her pink and only as tall up to her first forefinger's knuckle. Glowing in the absence of the usual bright hours of sunlight it shone a iridescent orange like that of a lit Jack O' lantern. She quickly swiped the bottle into her aprons baggy pouch, which she had strapped on as soon as the two boys had left the Hospital Wing much to her persisting and then scurried off to her other well locked cabinet in her office which held all her healing herbs and sets of equipment that wasn't used in a regular day to day basis. That meaning no tweezers, or everyday bandaids could be found.

After unlocking her keep with a quick whip of her wand, she grabbed onto her stone mixing bowl and her mashing stick which was smooth all the way around, especially the bottom, and took it outside to the boy who waited still in his comatose state on the gurney. She wasted no time in swiping a packet of wheat seeds and monkshood from its usual hanging spot above the beds, and took three cloves/petals of each and placed in the bowl and magicked them to life in their confident grinding state as she attempted to uncork the liquid from her spot above the boy.