chapter nine

09  -  CONFESSIONS THROUGH
BEDTIME STORIES

▿ ▿ ▿

As far as wake up calls went, Lucius Abraxas Malfoy could honestly say that nothing is more frightening than being woke up at the pre-dawn hours by a barn owl screeching like mad and pecking angrily with its beak at his bedroom window.

It was nearly three in morning, much too early for any wizard to be awake at that hour, at the infamous Malfoy Manor in Wiltshire, England.  The Manor stood like it always had, tall and forbidding to all visitors with its gothic valedictorian styled architecture and fanciful curled iron gates and well maintained and tamed gardens. Peacocks of all sizes littered the perfectly trimmed lawn and the stone steps were polished and swept to impeccable standards. No lights could be seen through the windows with all the drapes pulled tight to keep out the unwanted light and the occasional sounds of nearby woodland creatures in the distance that could be vaguely heard. If any muggle were to see the place they would joke that only a vampire could live in such a house or a lonely man who though wealthy as can be chose the life of a hermit. Not that the Malfoy's would ever associate with what they so easily called filth.

Despite no lights and no signs of life to be seen from the extravagant home, two people within its chambers were hurrying about in an unusual way as they sprinted from room to room whilst yelling at one another. Lord Malfoy, commonly known by 'friends' as simply Malfoy Sr. or Lucius, was a strict and well mannered man who believed in the monarchy of traditionalism and therefore was not at all pleased to be summoned like a common peasant by a less than well groomed owl to the Headmaster of his eldest's school. His wife however, was not at all sharing his tiff towards the summoning and was prancing around in a rush to get dressed and groomed whilst ordering her personal house elf Morita to pack all her necessities for a few days away from home. Morita, like all house elves duty was to her master and mistress, this being Lady Malfoy. Her duty was to serve her until her end unless dismissed by the said woman. She was better kept than most elves seen in public with proper fitting attire though not the cleanest out there, and her skin cleansed and shinny including her large bat-like ears.

The Lady Malfoy, Narcissa as some she was known as, was a very snobbish woman with an attitude and contempt that she was above most and owed the world nothing. She took pride in her heritage not unlike her husband and refused to go anywhere unfitting to her standards. Though despite her pride and cold shoulder like attitude she was an exceptional mother with the caring and temperament needed to deal with two very prideful and snarky men, one being her own child. She hastily shrugged on her silver and black lined wizarding robes and dashed a sprinkle of white powder across her aristocratic face, unlike usual as she usually heaped the materials on when going out. The woman's hair though done in fancy knots was falling out at edges much unlike usual and stringy strands of silver mixed into her fair blonde could be seen if looking close enough.

Her husband wasn't any better for wear, though he undoubtedly had less to do in the ways of getting ready. Lucius wasted no time in ordering his own elves to work in packing and had slipped on his own dark robes and cuff links embroidered with the Malfoy's crest long before even his wife had finished her curled hair. He hadn't thought twice before clipping back his long fair hair not unlike to his wifes' in an elegant black ribbon, as he grabbed his club-like cane and marched towards the fireplace to leave to the Headmaster's office. They left not moments later, both clutching their bags like lifelines and still shouting out the orders to their elves on what to do in their absence all the while being transported by floo to the Headmaster's office.

The letter and the owl long forgotten in their haste to leave, was left to be tended by the elves who all decided anonymously not to read nor write anything in return and instead let the owl return to its keep at the school. After all, they all know the consequences of when an elf read their masters mail and did something to purposely act out against them, Dobby the house-elf who never fit in to the system quite right, being the prime example.