Rick Grimes Imagine

Rick Grimes Imagine

Note: Heya. Took a little break from writing there, but I'm back. Glad to be so, too. 

Request: Nerdy_Novelist-017

Song: Goner, by Twenty One Pilots

Warnings: Rated PG-13 for violence and gore. (And angst.)

Rick Grimes Imagine

He was paying attention to the road. Of course he was paying attention to the road. But he was also watching her, through the corner of his eye. He always did that.

She was jiggling her leg a little bit, up and down and up and down. Her fingers tapped on her knee, in a specific pattern, over and over. She always did that.

No matter how many times they went out on runs, she was always a bundle of nerves. He didn't try telling her it would be okay, or that there was no reason to be nervous, because saying those things would mean lying. It wasn't always like that. He remembered a time when he could catch her nervous eyes, give her a reassuring look, and confidently tell her that everything would be fine. That was a long time ago. Today, he adjusted his grip on the steering wheel with one hand and put his other hand face up on the center console. He stopped watching her, and her unsure hand snaked over his. He wrapped his fingers around her knuckles and squeezed. She squeezed back. 

They went through their rough patches, like any couple. Before, they suffered stagnant periods, which often took a while to overcome. Now, though, there was no stagnancy. They didn't have the time to sit still. Nothing was ever the same. He knew she missed the things she used to hate, he knew she'd kill to be tired of him lighting the same Yankee candle every Friday night. He missed fighting over little things.

It was a bit of a drive, and they didn't speak the entire way. He knew that she would've loved to reach over and flick on the radio, and there was an ache in her heart as they rode in silence. She missed music. He missed watching her sit in her lyrics, as she let the baseline slip into her soul and pace her heartbeat.

The drive was over, and they stepped out of the vehicle. They worked silently and perfectly together, each drawing their weapons as she took the initial lead and they approached the convenience store. He circled the building quickly, finding the perimeter clear and sound before returning to her. He gave her a tight nod, and she pounded on the doorframe. The sound was quiet enough not to draw attention from anything possibly lurking behind the treeline, but loud enough to draw moans from inside the store. She continued her noisy assault until they heard a walker hit the front wall, and she immediately jumped back.

Their positions switched, now he was in front, and he kicked the door in before leading them both backwards. In a short moment, a walker stumbled out, then two, then three. They spread apart, causing half of the crowd to go for her, and half to go for him. Artfully, they took out their targets, each looking to the other the moment the threats were gone.

"Are we good?" She asked, approaching him again. He pulled his knife out of a walker's skull and nodded, wiping it on the corpse's ratted shirt before returning it to his person. 

"I'll lead, take the right side and the back. You take left and front, make sure its clear. Don't open any doors."
"Gotcha."

They swept the inside of the building, coming up clear for threats before meeting back at the front.

"Three doors. I'm guessing bathroom, storage closet, and back way." She informed lowly, earning a nod.

"Check outside first, and open it. I'll take the two in the back, you take the other one."