Chapter 44: Intimate Predicament

AN: 'sup guys! As per my ((single)) vote, I'll be doing my week-long chapters continuing the story (plus, I had a spark of inspiration last week so I already scripted a bunch of chapters). The catch is that I won't have Savanna editing the next 5 chapters because she's still busy with school. Enjoy anyways!

Before they knew it, the sun was sinking below the horizon. Ruby and Weiss had moved to face each other criss-cross on the bench so that they couldn't cheat off of each other's papers.

Weiss noticed that Ruby had begun to nod off as the sky turned orange. "Maybe we should go home now," she reluctantly suggested.

The sleepy brunette agreed groggily. She stood up and went to retrieve Zwei, who had dug a sizable hole to put a stick in and was currently fighting with all the other small dogs over his prize.

When she left Weiss' side, the heiress had the chance to fully admire how well Ruby's fiery-tipped hair complimented the warm colors of the sunset. Concentrated rays of sunlight created angelic yellow-orange glow around her silhouette as she made her way to the dog pile.

Ruby expertly pulled her corgi out of the chaos without a scratch and re-attached his leash. When she turned around, she found Weiss locked onto her with her icy blue gaze.

The subconsciously smiling heiress sat there staring for a couple more seconds until she realized what she was doing. Blinking twice in succession, she quickly flicked her eyes towards some random dog nearby. Thankfully for her, the red that splashed her face looked natural in the sunset.

Ruby was too tired to think about how strange her friend was acting, so she disregarded it and led Zwei back to Weiss. Together, the trio made the trip back to the limo.

•••

During the ride home, Ruby fell asleep sitting up. Weiss fidgeted nervously in silence, trying to find something to say, before realizing that her friend was unconscious. She sighed gratefully and was about to relax herself when the vehicle hit a bump in the road. Ruby was jostled from her position and ended up in Weiss' lap, unconsciously death-squeezing a struggling Zwei.

Weiss strained to contain the billions of thoughts and emotions that flooded her head at once, most of it being wailing panic alarms in her head. It was all she could do not to shove her friend's peacefully resting body off of her, as it would surely awaken her and make the situation even more awkward than it already was.

The frantic heiress took a few deep breaths and got herself to calm down. Just enjoy the moment, she soothed herself. It may be the only one you'll ever have.

Her state of contentment was shattered when Ruby suddenly released her suffocating grip on Zwei and shifted to get comfortable, as if the soft fabric of Weiss' flowing skirt was a pillowcase.

Weiss couldn't cut off the panicked squeak that left her lips. A dog was roaming freely around her father's private limousine.

By the time the limo pulled up to Ruby's front porch, Weiss had solved the issue of Zwei by tying his leash around a single seat. But she had no idea how to quiet her pounding heart. Ruby still hadn't woken up or moved from her cozy spot on Weiss' lap.

A possible solution suddenly came to mind. Weiss pulled out her phone to text Yang.

Weiss: "We're outside."

Yang: "Y don't u just knock?"

Weiss: "I'm having a bit of an issue right now. Do you mind coming to meet us?"

Mere seconds later, Yang opened the car door. The first thing she did was snort in amusement.

She quietly unraveled Zwei's leash from the chair and pulled him out. She slung Ruby's backpack over her shoulder and looked back, gesturing for Weiss to follow.

The heiress gave Yang an expression that quickly turned from confused to terrified as she realized what Ruby's playful older sister was forcing her to do.

Yang smirked at her and sauntered to the door.

"Yang!" Weiss angrily whispered, but she had no choice. She did her best to scoop Ruby up into her arms and carry her into the house bridal style. Unfortunately, Ruby was heavier than she looked, and the fact that she was out cold didn't help.

Weiss forced herself to use every last ounce of her strength to bring Ruby inside. She found Yang removing Zwei's collar in the living room and groaned inwardly at the mere thought of having to carry the deadweight all the way to her bed.

•••

Ruby awoke to the sound of the familiar clicking sound of the front door closing and soft footsteps on the wood floor.

What's going on? she wondered. Of course, I must've fallen asleep! Good thing Yang was awake to take me i-

She froze. Whoever had her in their arms certainly wasn't her sister. The gentle strength of Yang's comforting arms and the usual stray locks of blonde hair that had tickled a young Ruby's nose so many times was nonexistent.

The brunette's eyes flicked open for about half a second before squeezing them shut again in shock.

Weiss was too focused on her task to notice. She easily remembered where Ruby's room was and trudged on, quickly running out of stamina and breath. Either Ruby was getting heavier, or Weiss needed to work on her upper body strength. The muscles in her arms were screaming. Thank goodness she's still asleep, she thought with a sigh.

Weiss finally made it to Ruby's room and strained to lay her softly on the bed. It ended up being a clumsy drop, but Ruby pretended to sleep through it.

Weiss sighed in relief and drew away. "You really need to regulate your diet," she gasped under her breath.

Ruby smirked into her blanket, wanting to give her exhausted friend a snark comeback, but she figured it would be best to leave Weiss thinking that her struggle went unnoticed. She could almost picture the prideful heiress disintegrating on the spot the moment she found out that her weakness had been exploited.

When she caught her breath, Weiss padded to the door and stopped at the frame. Impulse made her turn back to the small figure, who was secretly wishing Weiss would stay.

As if by telepathy, the snowy-haired girl came drifting back to the bedside. Ruby was on top of the comforter, but Weiss was still able to softly drape a lighter blanket over her.

"Goodnight, Ruby," she whispered in an affectionate tone she couldn't help in the spur of the moment. She returned to the door and closed it softly behind her, leaving for good this time.

"Goodnight, Weiss," Ruby replied quietly in the darkness of her room, a grin stretched across her face. She always thought that she would be the one to say goodnight first.