Chapter 56: An Excuse

AN: Hello, lovelies :P Long time, no see! Here's the chapter you all deserve. I may be slowly destroying myself over stressing out on projects and stuff, but at least this one is for fun and by my own choice. Enjoy!

The recently mowed lawn of Ruby's backyard was a familiar and comfortable feeling to her bare feet, but she had to put her socks and shoes on eventually. She could feel Weiss looming over her, and keeping the anxious heiress waiting any longer than necessary was never a good idea.

"Hurry up!" Weiss complained, pacing across the mat while bending her practice rapier straight. "We don't have all afternoon!"

"I am, I am!" Ruby protested, yanking her socks over her ankles. After slipping on and tying her tennis shoes, she shot up. "Ready!"

Weiss finally stopped pacing and gave her forgetful girlfriend an annoyed look. "No, you aren't. Your gloves? Your mask? Your rapier?"

Ruby hung her head and went to grab the missing items from her duffel bag. As she pulled on her gloves, she thought about how the month seemed to pass by so slowly, yet so quickly at the same time. Spending time with Weiss had that effect on her. Maybe that was part of what made her so fun to be around.

"Ruby!"

"Ahwut?!" The distracted brunette sprang off the ground and into position. "S-sorry!"

Weiss smacked her forehead. "I have a feeling this will be a long evening..."

Ruby fumbled in embarrassment. "L-let's just get on with it!" she exclaimed, defensively raising her rapier.

"Gladly," Weiss agreed, rolling her eyes. They put on their helmets, crossed blades, and began their final practice bout.

Rather than learning anything new from the lesson, the goal was to ensure that Ruby was prepared. Weiss insisted on testing her diligent pupil one last time before the championship match. Of course, Ruby would have jumped at any excuse to spend time alone with her girlfriend.

Unfortunately, that was her weakness. With her focus fluctuating between the battle and Weiss' elegant posture, Ruby was easily overpowered by the heiress' level of concentration. They were at the edge of Ruby's side of the mat in no time.

"Is that it?" Weiss scolded, swiftly kicking Ruby off her feet and grabbing her hand before she could hit the ground. The criticizing heiress yanked Ruby back up and locked eyes to express her disappointment, but she found herself lost in the pools of silver that glimmered from behind the brunette's wired mask.

The affectionate shine in Ruby's eyes melted Weiss' icy heart every time, no matter how often she saw it, and she hated it just as much as she loved it. Okay, maybe she loved it a little more. Either way, the way Ruby was looking at her told her that there was no way Weiss could get her to focus.

Weiss sighed defeatedly. "Take off your helmet."

The confused brunette complied, revealing her raised eyebrows and slightly ruffled hair. "Okay? What's the-"

In a few quick motions, Weiss flung her own mask and rapier to the grass lawn, covered what little distance separated them, and locked lips with Ruby. The exciting tingle she felt that day in the rain wove its way through her body once more.