Chapter 60: Blake's Job

Weiss began her story looking directly at Ruby, but her cousin and the curious Yang were listened intently. "I'll begin at the time I approached my father's office. He had summoned me for an important meeting, but he didn't tell me what it was about. As you can guess, I was nervous about it, but no one refuses Father's demands. So, I knocked on the door, hard enough for him to hear but light enough not to be scolded about it...."

•••

"You may enter," called Mr. Schnee.

Out of habit, Weiss opened the door and entered as quietly as I could. "You summoned me, Father?"

"Yes. I've received intel suggesting something quite concerning," he replied from the other end of the room. "Rumors and speculations suggest that there's an underground organization plotting to sabotage the business. In fact, that is the topic of tomorrow's security board meeting. However, I have... more pressing matters to attend to than discussing a petty myth, so I want you to go in my stead. As heiress to the Schnee Rust Company, it would be good for you to officially represent us, no?"

Weiss sighed, but had no other choice than to agree. "Of course, Father."

He stroked his mustache in content, as he usually did when he was satisfied when people obeyed him without question. "Excellent. And there was something else I wished to speak to you of. What was it...? Oh yes, the Faunus. You need to oversee the distribution of equal wages to our Faunus workers, but do remove their safety policy. Production and service would run far more efficiently, and naturally, we need maximum output."

Something in Weiss snapped. The sarcasm in his tone, the glint in his eye, and his arrogantly upright posture reminded her of all the reasons she despised him. And now, he expected her to further cripple members of a race who already face oppression in the outside world?

"Being a substitute for one of your 'security meetings' is one thing, but making me responsible for digging an even deeper trench for people who already face so much hardship is another!" Weiss outburst. "You've always treated me as your pawn, expecting me to do this and that for your own gain because I'm your daughter, but you have no right to make me do something so cruel!"

When she was young, Mr. Schnee brought Weiss to the nearest company factory. The way every Faunus struggled and strained over the physical labor, combined with the casually lounging humans, was a horrible sight, especially for a young girl. "They're naturally stronger than us," had been her father's excuse.

The image burned into her memory, and it was something she never wanted to witness again. Weiss had sworn to herself that when, or if, she had the power, she would try to make things fair. It was the only reason she could tolerate the thought of becoming heiress of the family business.

Nonetheless, the businessman was surprised that his own daughter lost her temper in front of him, but he retained his composure. "As your father," he responded calmly, "it is your destiny to continue serving me... and the family business. It is a future of honor and success, and no one will ever dream of labeling you a villain."

Weiss shot back, "It's a future you forced on me!"

Mr. Schnee's voice slightly increased in volume. "Are you so foolish as to follow in the footsteps of your traitorous sister, even knowing the consequences that befell her?"