Chapter 49: If Only

Ruby hadn't been more ready for lunchtime in ages, even though it was always exciting to her. Yang brought home freshly baked chocolate chip cookies from a party and kept them fresh. Not only that, but she'd have the chance to compliment Weiss on her drawings.

Was that a good idea...?

"Hey guys, I-" Ruby paused mid-sentence at the lunch table. She saw Pyrrha and Jaune were holding hands.

"What?" She pointed at Pyrrha.

"What?!" She pointed at Jaune.

"WHAT?!" She dramatically gestured to their interlocked fingers.

"Oh, leave them alone," Coco chuckled. "We all knew it was bound to happen at some point."

"But this is important!" Ruby squeaked. She rested her hands on top of the new couple's and leaned in. "Tell me, when did this happen and how?"

Pyrrha looked more embarrassed than Velvet had when Coco shamelessly slapped her butt so many months ago. "I, um..."

Jaune saved her. "One thing led to the next, and all of a sudden, we were asking each other out at the same time." He laughed. "It was kinda awkward, but funny too."

Ruby beamed. "I'm so happy for you guys! Pyrrha's had a huge crush on you for the longest time!"

Jaune looked at his new girlfriend in surprise as she nearly melted into her seat. "Oh."

Ruby giggled and sat down next to Weiss. When she pulled out the bag of cookies first, the snowy-haired girl stifled a snort. "Why am I not surprised?" she teased, rolling her eyes.

"They're mine," Ruby shot back, protectively pulling the cookies closer to herself. That got laughter out of Weiss, and the little brunette couldn't help but smile. Neither realized that everyone at the table was staring at them blatantly.

"Ten bucks says they make out within a week," Coco whispered to Nora.

"You're on," she agreed. "This should be interesting."

•••

Ruby: "So r u gonna come to the match tmrw?"

Weiss: "I'm not sure if I can. It depends on whether my father decides to hold a social gathering this weekend or next weekend. I'll let you know when I get the chance."

Ruby: "Ok I'll be expecting a follow up :)"

Weiss: "Why do you feel the need to add emojis to the end of every other sentence?"

Ruby: "¯\_()_/¯ "

Ruby laughed when a minute passed and she didn't get a reply. Weiss' answers were either immediate or nonexistent.

She put down her phone and went back to studying for her biology test the following Monday. The weekend was for relaxing, and Friday afternoon was for cramming.

Her systematic flipping through her flash cards was interrupted when Yang barged into the room. "'Sup?" she greeted her sister.

Ruby turned around. "Oh Yang, I didn't know you got home! How was work?"

"Meh." Yang shrugged. "Cute girls, though."

"You disgust me," Ruby joked. "Go take a shower, stinky."

"Do I really smell that strongly of alcohol?" she asked worriedly.

"That's what you get for being a bartender." Ruby stuck out her tongue.

Yang pouted. "Not my fault that's the only job available in the whole damn city."

The younger sister jumped up. "That's one for the swear jar!"

"I'm done with you," the older grumbled, stomping off to the bathroom.

Ruby smirked in triumph, but it quickly disappeared as she returned to studying. She had to keep her grades up so she could impress Weiss at the end of the semester.

•••

For the sixth match in the tournament, Ruby should have felt confident with her winning streak. In a way, she was, but Weiss was on the forefront of her mind.

She had never followed up on that text the day before. Where was she? Did she have her phone taken away? Was she in danger? Maybe someone kidnapped her and took her to an isolated shack in the forest, and Ruby would never see her again?

Okay. Even for you, that's ridiculous, Ruby reprimanded herself. Maybe her phone ran out of battery.

No matter what scenario she conjured up to reassure herself, Ruby couldn't focus. Her thoughts flickered between Weiss and the upcoming match. She desperately wished her friend was there to cheer her on and relieve her of her worries.

No such treatment existed, so she tried to ignore the anxiety and psych herself up for the match. Another cute little medal and another step closer to first place was within reach, but only if she pulled a victory.

"Alright, Ruby. Let's do this." She pulled on her gloves, ready to fight. The blinding lights hit her the moment she left the prep room, making it even more difficult to focus.

The referee stepped onto his podium. "If I could get everyone's attention, it's time to begin. To the left, we have Ruby Rose from Beacon Academy. To our right, we have Emerald Sustrai from Haven Academy. Both will be in one of six competing matches for the first place medal and cash prize of 5,000 Lien. Contestants, please salute and we will begin the match."

Ruby and her new opponent entered the mat simultaneously. The uneasy brunette didn't like the smug look that girl was giving her. She was pretty, with dark skin, amber eyes, and short hair dyed the color that matched her namesake. And yet, something was... off about her. It was as if they'd met before somewhere else, yet Ruby knew she'd never seen this Emerald girl in her life. But she didn't like her.

They saluted to one another, Emerald maintaining her intimidating smirk, and slid on their helmets.

"To your positions," the ref announced. They shifted into battle stances and edged away from the center.

"En garde."

"Prêt."

"Allez!"

Apparently, Emerald was arrogant for good reason. Her aim was precise, her strikes calculated, and her posture free of error. Weiss would have been either impressed, envious, or both if only she were there.

If only...

Two words were enough to distract Ruby and give her opponent an easy chance to strike. She didn't hesitate to stab right through Ruby's defenses.

For the first time in the tournament, Ruby was down one point.

AN: wuzzup home peeps? Expect a chapter longer than usual in the coming week. The big 50 is gonna have some special treatment. Btw you're welcome for the cliffhanger lel. I feel like all my chapters have cliffhanger endings but that's my style. Also the picture has nothing to do with the chapter, I just thought it was funny :P