Chapter 50: Who's Knocking?

Ruby heard a gasp from a member of the audience. Her family was likely in disbelief, as well. It shouldn't have been such a shock, but it was the first time someone other than Weiss had overcome her.

Emerald signaled a time out and removed her helmet. "And here I thought you were Vale's next sports celebrity," she shrugged. "I'm not even sure why that filthy Schnee girl made it as far as she did... Then again, being rich can do that for you."

"You have no right to talk about Weiss like that!" Ruby glowered.

The cocky girl smirked. "Is that so? I bet you have no idea what that girl has done for the sake of the company she'll soon be in charge of. Oh, but that's right! She has you wrapped around her little finger anyways, doesn't she? Fencing with a middle-class citizen behind daddy's back..." She clicked her tongue in disapproval.

Ruby clenched her fists. "How would you know that?"

"I have my ways. Don't you know about the Schnee Rust Company's labor policy?" she continued before Ruby could further question her. "They treat the Faunus as slaves and take pleasure in it. Not only that, but the wages are so ridiculously low that none of the employees can ever escape the pool of debt, even if they tried. It's a scheme to ruin the lives of millions, all for a single family's gain!"

Ruby frowned. "I know Weiss' dad isn't the best person, but she isn't like that. If it were up to her, those things wouldn't happen."

Emerald scoffed. "I'll believe it when I see it."

Ruby squared up. She had to defend Weiss' honor and prove Emerald wrong by showing her what a great teacher she was!

Round two began. Emerald had quickly analyzed her opponent's attack pattern, dancing elegantly back and forth with Ruby's lunges and feints in a taunting manner. She succeeded in flaring Ruby's temper and pulled back, coaxing the younger girl into a headlong rush. Her apparent retreat caused Ruby to take the bait and, in a flash, she launched forward.

Emerald's glimmering rapier clanged against Ruby's with the flick of her wrist. Another swipe nudged the brunette's blade out of the way, and the green-haired girl's rapier came to a halt at Ruby's throat. It hovered there for a moment as the crowd grew silent, then it slowly lowered to touch her chest. The audience flared back to life.

Emerald pulled off her helmet and leaned in menacingly. "Listen. I didn't come all this way to bicker with a child. I'm warning you. Stay out of our way, and you won't get hurt. Get involved, and I can't promise things will go well for you or your precious friend..."

"W...What are you talking about?" Ruby stuttered, feeling her mouth go dry.

"You'll know when the time comes," the mysterious girl replied, placing her helmet back over her head.

That villainous smile behind the mask sent a chill through Ruby's spine. Whatever Emerald meant, she certainly didn't seem to harbor any good intentions.

•••

An hour's passing found Ruby sprawled out on her bed, staring at the ceiling. Her phone buzzed on the nightstand beside her. Six unread messages from Weiss. Well, it was seven now.

Ruby's mind was at war with itself. She tried to think about something that made her happy, but her train of thought led her right back to Emerald's leering face.