Chapter 18: Play Date

"Whooooaaaaaa..."

Ruby gaped in awe, just as everyone else did, at the mere sight of the Schnee Estate.

"How big do you think it is?" the brunette asked meekly, feeling as if that monstrous building was looming over her.

"I'd guess about half a million hectares," Yang responded, leaning back on Bumblebee to get a full view of the mansion. "Check out those gargoyles," she added, pointing at the decorative stone statues in the front entryway. They looked freakishly realistic.

"I-I'm starting to have second thoughts," Ruby squeaked in nervousness.

"Too bad, I already drove you here," Yang chuckled. "Plus, it'd be rude to ditch a date with your girlfriend."

"Yaaaang," Ruby whined under her breath, looking around uneasily. "Shush! There might be hidden cameras!"

The energetic blond laughed and followed her younger sister to the front door. "I think the gargoyles are security enough."

Upon ringing the doorbell, a well-dressed man cracked open the door. "State your business," he commanded in an authoritative yet bland voice. "Uh...we're here to see Weiss. I'm her friend, Ruby," the brunette answered. "And this is my sister, Yang. She's here to visit Blake."

The butler looked skeptical. "Please wait a moment," he said before shutting the door. The sisters looked at each other, then back at the door. A few seconds later, he came back, allowing them entrance.

When the girls stepped into the entry hall, their jaws dropped simultaneously. The polished white ceiling had to be at least 20 feet tall.

"Please take off your shoes here," the butler added, completely unphased by the size of the mansion. He did work there on a daily basis, after all.

Ruby and Yang took off their boots and left them beside the welcome mat, looking around in amazement. "Wonder where-" Yang began, but was broken off by the sound of echoing footsteps.

When Weiss walked into the room, Ruby couldn't help but notice how perfectly she blended in to her surroundings. The Schnee family definitely had a thing for the color white. As per usual, the heiress wore her tiara and cozy winter outfit.

"I'm surprised you didn't get lost on the way here," she teased.

"How do you miss this gigantic hunk of mansion?" Yang responded, laughing. Ruby shrugged to show her lack of support towards Yang's less-than-polite attitude. If there was one thing she'd learned about Weiss in the few weeks they were friends, it was that she despised what she identified as "delinquents". That definitely included Yang.

"Blake is in the back room, second door to your left," Weiss sighed.

"You're no fun," Yang chuckled and left for Blake's room.

A couple seconds of silence passed before Ruby spoke up. "So, um... What're we doing?" She was painfully aware of the butler watching them, but Weiss didn't seem bothered. She was most likely used to having him around.

"Perhaps you'd like a tour of the house," Weiss said absentmindedly.

Ruby's eyes widened. "Would I! I mean, yes please." Her previous exclamation still echoed in the room.

•••

"Wow, you have an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, right next to each other!" Ruby observed in surprise. "And that water slide looks so fun."