Chapter 59: Choose Wisely

AN: more like Choose WEISSly, amirite?

...Yeah, I'll just get to the chapter now.

Qrow gave Yang a look that said, "How exactly are Blake and Weiss 'in trouble'?", so she further explained herself by handing her smartphone to him. Ruby could barely make out the text message displayed on the screen:

Blakey 🐱❤️: "Need you to call with Ruby after match, it's an emergency. We're at Vale Hospital."

While the situation was too serious for Ruby to tease her sister about Blake's contact name, she made a mental note to save it for another time.

"Oh, jeez." Qrow handed back the phone and scratched his stubbly beard. "I can take you kids in the van."

"Like hell we're waiting for you! We need to go, right now!" The usually laid-back blonde's face was abnormally pale. "Come on, Ruby! We're taking the bike!"

The two sisters dashed for the exit without another word. Ruby had dropped her rapier and helmet earlier, but she didn't bother removing the rest of her gear.

"I'm calling Blake!" Yang called as they hopped on the bike and slid on their helmets (Ruby's helmet was conveniently stashed in the bike's back pouch). The blonde quickly brought up Blake's contact and tapped the phone icon.

The phone rang twice before the receiving end picked up. "Yang?" answered a familiar, shaky voice.

"Blake, what's going on?!" Yang demanded. "We're coming!"

"I-"

"Are you alright?!" Ruby interrupted.

"I can explain when you get here," Blake replied. "Mention a man in a red suit to the receptionist... Sorry, I have to go. See you soon?"

Before either sister could respond, Blake hung up.

"Well, at least now we know what to do when we get there," Yang muttered through clenched teeth. "Hold on tight, Sis!"

Bumblebee's engine revved to life more excitedly than it ever had before and flew onto the main road.

If Yang's driving was normally considered reckless, it didn't compare to the way she chaotically swerved between lanes on that day. She was a literal speed demon, intent on destroying anything--or anyone--in her way.

Behind her was a distressed Ruby, clinging to her older sister for dear life. The parting words of Emerald, the girl she'd fenced a few weeks ago, suddenly returned to the forefront of her thoughts.

"Choose wisely."

•••

They screeched to a halt in front of the clinic, creating gnarly skid marks. Yang glanced back at her permanent mark on the asphalt and winced. "Oops."

"No time for that!" Ruby reminded her, leaping off the bike. She made for the door, followed by her sister.

They burst into the waiting room, killing its previously quiet and uneventful atmosphere. Ruby, dressed in fencing gear and wearing a motorcycle helmet, attracted everyone's attention as she ran up to the counter and smacked down her hands to get the receptionists' attention. "Where's Wei-"