Chapter 32

Zane in the UpsideDown story totally wears pastel sweaters and flower crowns, that is all.

*Garroth*

Its thursday.
It's been almost a week since the whole.. nightmare fiasco. And really, it's only gotten worse. More nightmares came everytime I went to sleep, each one worse than the next. I might be getting two and a half hours of sleep on one of the better nights. Somehow I'm managing though. Granted, I am getting massive headaches. Zane ended up finding a job, too, reluctantly settling for a job at the mall.

I'm still working at the cafè, which I guess I enjoy. The people were all nice enough and Hyria was a wonderful boss. Well, every once in a while she'd ask me about my nonexistent boyfriend, and once when I corrected her she asked if he was my husband. Not sure who 'he' is, but I'm not sure I want to know.

I wipe down tables, humming quietly to myself when I hear someone call my name and I turn around quickly, making myself dizzy. I stumble sideways, grabbing a chair for support.

"Oh, Garroth, sweetie, are you alright?" Hyria asks, looking at least a bit concerned.

"Y-yeah, just.. out of breath all the sudden." I respond, standing up.

The older woman frowns, placing the back of her hand over my forehead. "Garroth, you're burning up! Are you feeling alright?"

"Y-yeah, don't worry, I'm fine." I mutter, ignoring my headache. I'm not that big of a deal.

"Sweetheart, I think you're coming down with something. Take the rest of the week off, and get some rest. It's been quiet here anyhow." Hyria says, taking the cleaning rag from my hand.

"No, really, I'm fine. I don't think it's nes--"

"No, I insist. Go home, get some rest. Maybe you can get your lovely boyfriend to make you some soup."

I sigh. "I still do not have a boyfriend. I don't understand where you even got the thought."

I regret the second sentence as soon as she replies.

"Well, obviously that brunet cutie that stops by every once in a while. Don't act like nobody notices when you two look at each other like that."

I feel my face heat up more than it already was. I cover my face with my hands.

"Laurance and I aren't da--"

"Oh, his name is Laurance? How lovely! I'm sure you two are very happy together."

"We're not--"

"Out yet?" She grins.

"... Alright, I'm heading home then."

"Alright, tell your boyf--"

"Not dating!" I yell as I walk out the door.

I have no words.

~°~°~°~°~

I unlock the door to my apartment, stepping in. I'm the only one home, since Zane was at work and Vylad... was off doing whatever, where ever. He liked to disappear every once in a while, most of the time without warning. Normally we would get a confirmation text when he's landed or has a signal, which, on some occasions can be days. Vylad never was one for staying in one spot. Too much to explore, he says.

Afyer grabbing some pain medicine for my headahce, I sit down on the couch, wrapping a blanket around me. Might as well rewatch sherlock. I switch on my phone, opening the messaging app. Almost immediately, I get a text.

Mau: Garroth? Why are you online, you should be at work, right?

Mau: I swear if you gott fired.

Me: No, I didn't get fired, don't worry. Hyria sent me home, thinks I'm coming down with something..

As I hit send, I cough. Maybe I am getting sick.

Mau: what? Have you been staying up all night again? With those nightmares, I mean.

Me: You guessed it. They went away for a little while, but now there back, and kinda worse than ever.

Mau: yikes. I'm coming over with soup and hugs for sick friend, do not move.

Me: that's really not necessary, Mau.

Mau: on my way, you shall not stop me, Gargar

Me: don't call me that

Mau: what kind of soup you want?

Me: I told you you really don't need to come, I'm fine

Mau: CHICKEN NOODLE IT IS.

Me: Mau plz.

She doesn't respond after that. Guess there's no avoiding this, then. I sigh. And then cough some more.

Yeah, probably sick.

~°~°~°~°~°~

I eat a spoonful of the spoon Aphmau had shoved in my hands as she rambles on.

"-- and Garroth, you need to take better care of yourself! You can't just skip sleeping and eating, those are basic human needs! Taking care of yourself is really important, nobody wants to see you like this because you didn't take care of yourself! And here I am, bringing you soup because you got yourself sick and--"

"I did tell you not to come." I point out, taking another spoonful of soup. For Aph's cooking, it's pretty good.

"Well, I had to come, I'm your best friend! It's part of the job description." She says with a smile, hopefully done with the shouting.

I shake my head, hiding a smile. I appreciated the thought, but I asked her not to come. 

"Well, I guess now that I have finished telling you every reason  why you should take care of yourself for the umpteenth  time, wanna watch a movie?" She asks, sitting by me.

"Suuure, why not." I smile, rolling my eyes.

~°~°~°~

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Hi.
I see you have finished the chapter. Interesring.

We've almost hit 10k on this book, save me