Lover Embraced - Chapter 20

As dawn arrived and the shutters went down for the day, Qhuinn didn’t take his eyes of the monitor. Havers’ body had been taken out of the clinic, into the Hummer and onto the scorched lawn all with a growing feeling of unease.

Things were going too well.

It was going too easy.

He could see Lassiter walking around the body, not taking his eyes of it. Waiting for the first rays of sunshine to do their work.

- Showtime.

They had him on speaker phone and Qhuinn was praying for the sun to come up already to burn the bastard to crisp.

- Here comes the first ray, you should hear a nice sizzle any min… What the fuck?

- Lassiter! What the hell just happened? Where is Havers?

- Fuck if I know!

- Lassiter, he was dead, he can’t have moved. Where. Is. He!

On the monitor he could see the fallen angel touch the burned lawn where the body had been laid down. He was shaking his head.

- There is nothing here man. No ashes, nothing.

- That is not possible.

- It’s what I am seeing. And feeling.

- Qhuinn. It’s like that forelesser in the woods, remember? Right before we found your brother.

He remembered allright. The fucker had just disappeared on them.

- That was a lesser. This is Havers.

He shook his head.

- Fuck. Shit. Goddammit!

- Lassiter, what do you think could have happened?

- I have no clue, Blay. It’s like the guy just… evaporated. And ashes or not, you two still owe me those 5 shows.