Part 22

A couple of days later, when the boys were feeling better, we all decided to play ball again. We all met up at Vincent's Drug Store. We bought some gum while we were there. "This is the only thing I'm chewing from now on." Squints said. "Buy me some Bazooka too!" Tommy said to Timmy. "The only thing your chewing from now on eh?" I said. "Oh yeah." The guys said. "Well, you guys chew food so..." I said and laughed. "We met were not gonna chew tobacco anymore." Bertram said. "I know. I'm just joking with you guys." I said and smiled. "Smart ass." Ham whispered. "I heard that!" I said. Benny put his arm around me so I wouldn't do anything to Ham. We all walked to the sandlot to play some baseball. No surprise there. Before we started playing, Benny pulled me away from the guys to ask me something. "Ashley, we have been dating for almost a month now and I wanted to take you out on a date. Is that okay?" I smiled and nodded. "Yes, of course that's okay." He smiled, "Okay. Cool." He kissed me and then walked to home base. 

I sat at the dugout waiting for my turn to play. I looked over at the boys as they ran to their spots. I smiled. They look like little professionals baseball players. I looked back over at Benny and he was just focused on the ball, just swinging his baseball bat back and forth. DeNunez looked down at the ball and then looked back up. The guys were punching their gloves, getting ready. Ham out the mask on, ready as well. For some reason, to me, everything felt like it was in slow motion. That's how concentrated the guys were today. There was no joking around. No laughing. No arguing. Just the game, and that's it. DeNunez threw the ball and Benny hit it with a loud smack. I got up quick. It was more than a smack. It was a crack sound. I looked in the air and I saw the outside of the ball ripped apart from what was inside and land not that far. Scotty caught what was left of the ball. I looked over at Benny and he was shocked. Yeah Yeah ran to the busted ball and the guys followed. Me and Benny walked and we were all in a circle around the busted baseball. Scotty threw the rest on the floor. 

"Oh man. I don't believe it." Bertram said. "Bitchin'." Bertram added. I was in utter shock. "Nah it ain't." Benny said. I looked up at Benny shocked. My mouth slightly opened. "Come on, Benny, man. Maybe two or three guys in history ever busted the guts out of a ball. Must be an omen." Squints said. I nodded in agreement. "All's it means is that we can't play no more. I mean, it's only 12:00 and I ruined the whole day for us." Benny said. I shook my head and looked at him unbelievable. Is he really serious right now. "No, you didn't. That's the most amazing thing I ever saw." DeNunez said and we all agreed, except Benny. He still didn't seem to care. "Anybody got any money?" He asked. "No." We all said. "Then it ain't okay, cause now we can't play." Benny said in anger. "Yeah we can." Scotty said. We all looked up at him confused. "What, you got 98 extra cents lying around at home Smalls?" Scotty shook his head. "No. But I got a ball." He said. "Go get it!" The guys shouted. I was confused. Scotty started running. "Scotty! We don't have a ball." I yelled to him. "Yeah we do. I'll be right back." Scotty shouted and ran home.