Part 26

After we found some bottles, we cashed them in, got some money and we ran to Vincint's Drig Store and bought a ball. "Come on. Let's go." One of the guys said as we rushed out of the store. "Go, go, go,go. Move, move!" Another one said. "Open it up hurry up." DeNunez said. Benny took the ball out of the box and threw the box on the floor. "Give me something to write with." Benny said holding out his hand. "Here, I got a pencil." Bertram said. "Give me a pen, not a pencil." Benny said. "Sorry." Bertram said. "I got a pen." Yeah Yeah said and handed it to Benny. Benny took it and started to write Babe Ruth on it. "Baby Ruthie?" Scotty asked confused. "It says 'Babe Ruth'." Squints said. "I- I don't know, Benny, man." DeNunez said. "Yeah yeah, boy, that looks pretty crappy." Yeah Yeah said in agreement with DeNunez. I rolled my eyes. "It doesn't matter what it looks like. His mom is never gonna know the difference." Benny said when he finished writting. I rubbed his back to calm him down. "This'll just buy us some time, you dorks." Benny said and rolled his eyes. He handed the ball to Scotty. "Okay, come on." The guys said. "I think I should with Scotty." I said. "No, Ashley. It's okay. You stay here. I'm just gonna put this in it's spot and I'll come back. Stay." Scotty said. I sighed and nodded. 

Scotty's POV: I ran home with the fake Babe Ruth signed ball in my hand. I noticed the car wasn't there yet. Yes! I'm in luck. I opened the door and I walked into Bill's trophy room. I slowly walked in and I put the ball in it's spot. I sighed and looked at it. Yea, my mom witll never notice. "Scotty?" I heard my mom's voice. Oh no. I let go of the ball and said, "In here mom." She walked passed the room but then came back in. "Oh, hi honey. What are you doing in here?" My mom asked me. "Uh, just looking at Bill's-- I mead dad's baseball." I said trying to cover my nervousness. She sighed and walked into the room. "You know he doesn't like when you touch his things." She said. I never touched his things though. Well, until now. I looked down, "Yeah, I-- I know. Sorry, mom." I said as I tried to walk back out. She held my shoulders and turned me around. "Has he ever told you about that ball?" She asked me.

"Uh no. Uh, not really. I-- I don't think so. No, no, no, he hasn't at all. Uh, I don't know anything about it." I looked at the ball and I widened my eyes. Shoot she will know that I'm nervouse about something. "Babe Ruth signed that ball. He was the greatest baseball player who ever lived." She told me and looked at a picture of him that was on the wall. "Oh, really?" I faked laughed. "He sure is." She started walking closer to the ball. Uh-oh. "Your dad's father gave it to him." She said while looking at the ball. Then she looked at me and smiled. "Maybe someday he'll give it to you." "Oh. Neat." I chuckled and scratched the back of my neck. My mom smiled at me and walked out of the room. I followed her and closed the door. My mom knows who Babe Ruth is? And my sister too. I walked out of the room and back to the sandlot.