Chapter 49. Sick

• a month & a half later •

"Hey, come in." I said, gesturing for Gigi to come inside my condo. She was doing some work in New York when she suddenly called to tell me she felt unwell.

"Oh, Alaysia. Thank you. I don't know what's wrong with me." She said, nearly inaudibly. I could tell she was not feeling well.

"It's okay. Come." I said, taking her hand and leading her to the couch to lay down. "Do want soup, tea, a sandwich? Tell me and I'll make it." I said, feeling very worried.

She sighed loudly. "I don't think I want to eat right now, but thanks anyway."

I nodded and sat next to her.

"Do you think it's a cold? How long has this been going on?" I asked, worriedly but trying to not to show it.

She sat up slowly. "It's been about two weeks now. The symptoms have been going and coming. One minute I think I'm fine, the next minute I'm not."

I rubbed her shoulder softly. "It's okay, I'll help you, okay?" I reassured as she nodded.

"What were the symptoms exactly?" I asked, looking into her fading hazel eyes.

"Um..." she began. "Headache, body pain, nausea and I've noticed that my appetite has increased lately as well." She said in almost a whisper.

It was hard to see her like this. Suddenly, a light went off in my head. Nausea, increased appetite, headaches?

"Gigi!" I exclaimed as I jumped off the couch.

"What?" She asked sounding upset by my noise.

"I think you might have a bun in the oven!" I shouted a bit too loudly as Gigi put her hands over her ears.

"What?" She asked again, this time with wide eyes.

"Are you pregnant?" I asked as she just looked on in disbelief.

She shook her head. "I don't know... I don't think so."

"Have you and Leo..." I started before she cut me off.

"Alaysia, please not now. I know what you're implying." She said, still holding her aching head.

"Come on. Think Gigi." I said as I sat back down.

"Okay.. yes we have been... you know. But, we've been careful. We've been using protection." She admitted quietly.

"Maybe something happened." I added.

She put her head down shamefully. "I am not ready to be a mom yet." She whispered as tears streamed down her cheeks.

I grabbed some tissue and handed it to her. "Don't cry G, you don't even know for sure yet. Do you want me to get some tests at the pharmacy?" I offered with a smile.

She looked up and nodded. Her mascara was smudged and her lipstick was a mess. "Yes please, I'd appreciate it."

"Okay, I go get some down the street and I'll be right back. Call me if anything, okay?" I said, as I grabbed my coat, put on my boots and grabbed my bag.

•••

"I'm back!" I said, closing the door quickly to block the cold winter air.

"Hey..." she said weakly as she walked towards me.

She looked very unwell. "Why are you up?" I asked, handing her the tests.

"Thanks Alaysia." She said as she walked into the bathroom to take the tests.

I sat down on the couch and waited anxiously.

"Alaysia, can you come here?" I heard her ask from the bathroom. I immediately jumped up and ran to her assistance.

"Yeah what is it?" I asked as she opened the door. Her hands were covering her eyes.

"Tell me what it says when it's done. It said four minutes." She said frantically as I tried to calm her down.

I rubber her back. "Gigi, whatever the results are, you'll be fine. You have all your friends and family to support you. You're not alone." I reassured her.

After a few minutes, the tests beeped. Gigi stepped paced back and forth nervously. "What does it say? Wait, don't tell me. I think I'm gonna be sick." She said still covering her face.

"Relax." I told her as I looked at the three tests.

I gasped loudly as I covered my mouth with my hands.

"What's wrong?" Gigi asked, looking at me with fear.

Tears filled my eyes. "They're all positive. You're pregnant!" I exclaimed as we hugged each other and cried.

"Alaysia... I can't... I'm.. not.. ready.." Gigi managed to say through sobs.

I calmed myself down and looked her in the eyes. "Giselle Aurora Blackthorn, listen to me. You are ready and you will be a wonderful mother and Leo will be a wonderful father. Don't doubt yourself, this baby is going to be loved and appreciated by everyone, especially me!"

She nodded and wiped her tears. "You're right Alaysia. Thank you for your encouragement and reassurance. What would I do without you? I love you so much." She said, and threw her arms around me tightly.

I smiled. "I love you too."

"So what's happens now?" She asked.

"You need to tell Leo." I answered as Gigi's smile turned into a frown.