Chapter 58. Choices

"Good morning sleepy head!" Nate shouted as I abruptly woken from my sleep.

I rubbed my eyes and looked up to see him sitting at the edge of the bed.

"Hey..."I said quietly, still feeling the urge to sleep.

He giggled. "I made breakfast. Come join me."

"Is it your famous pancakes?" I asked.

I love his pancakes so much!

"You already know. So come on. I have something to tell you."

I hurried to the bathroom to brush my teeth and fix my lion mane of hair.

"Okay... what's up?" I asked, as he pulled out a chair for me to sit.

He held my hand on the table. "Well... my manager called and he has a huge opportunity for me." He said, smiling from ear to ear.

I laughed, not having any idea as to what the news could be.

"What did he say?"

"I've been invited to Shanghai for this event called Models United. It features models from all around the world. It's a huge annual event." He said, as his face lit up.

"Wow. I've heard of it. Sounds fun. When is it?"

He paused for a while. "Next week. I leave next week. If I decide to go that is." He said, his excitement level decreasing.

"How long will you be there?" I asked.

He took a deep breath. "That's the thing.... it's a month long event."

"What? One month?" I shouted as I choked on my orange juice.

He rubbed my back as I tried to stop coughing.

"Yeah.... I'm sorry I startled you."

"No... no. It's fine. I was just caught off guard." I wiped my mouth with a napkin and tried to compose myself.

"So... should I go? I mean we just got engaged and stuff has been kind of up and down lately."

"Yeah um. I don't know. It's true we just got engaged, but this is life and you gotta do whatever makes you happy. If you want to go Shanghai... go to Shanghai." I answered, trying to sound as convincing as possible. I am never thrilled when Nate has to away for long periods of time.

"Really?" He asked with wide eyes as if I was crazy. "You're comfortable with it? You won't be upset or sad?"

I shook my head. "No.. not at all." I lied as his wide smile formed again.

It hurt to lie but I can't deprive my fiancé of his opportunities.

"You're the best, Alaysia. I'll go call my manager." He said, as he kissed me and left the table.

•••••

"So I called him and he is overjoyed that I'm on board with it. Everything is organized and he is processing my plane ticket. I'm excited. I've never been to Asia before. If anything changes, I can cancel." He continued to go on as I sat there trying to put on a smile.

"That's great Nate. I'm proud of you." I said as tears formed in my eyes.

"Alaysia, what's wrong? You're not happy are you?"

I shook my head.

"I knew it! I had a feeling that you were hiding something. How about I see if I can bring you?" He asked as I just stared blankly.

"I have stuff to do here so I'm not sure about that." I said, wiping my tears with a tissue.

"Alaysia, you should've just told me you weren't comfortable. To be honest, I'm excited but scared at the same time and there's no one I'd want by my side more than my soon to be wife."

I smiled. "You're so cute, but I don't want you to feel like you have to miss all these great events because I'm a baby who hates being away from you for too long." I laughed and he rubbed my cheek.

"Well... you're my baby and I don't mind it. Not many models are attending because it is quite far away and they have other obligations right now. The timing of it isn't great either."

I nodded. "So what's your decision?" I asked, biting my lip nervously.

He took a breath. "I can't go to Shanghai, especially for one month. I'd miss you and the family way too much." He said, as I laughed.

"Nate, I never thought I'd see this coming. You were ecstatic like an hour ago!" I added, as he laughed as well.

"Well, there's a lot to consider that I wasn't considering an hour ago. I have a wife who needs me and I need her." He kissed my hand and played with the engagement ring.

I couldn't help but smile. "You're already calling me your wife?"

"Of course. You were always my wife. From the day we met I just knew. We don't need a certificate to finalize what we already know in our hearts."

I laughed as kissed his cheek. "I love my husband so much!"