Chapter 59. Montreal

"I'm gonna make this trip the best one yet!" I exclaimed to Nate as we pulled up to my mom's house in Montreal.

It was Nate's first time in Québec and I wanted to make sure he had a good time. I had the whole day planned out because I didn't want there to be a dull moment.

"I'm excited. I've never been to Québec before." He said as we paid the taxi fare and gathered our luggage.

"I know and you're gonna love it just as much as I do. This is where I was born and raised, my dear." I said, as Nate smiled and knocked on the door.

Within a second, my mom opened the door.

"Mom, were you waiting by the door or something?" I asked, as she engulfed us in a big hug.

"Of course. I was waiting since yesterday." She said, as we got inside.

We left our luggage by the door as she led us to the dining room.

"I made lunch. I know it's not Québec delicacy but I didn't know if Nate would like the cultural food." She said, as she pulled out her chair to sit.

Nate laughed and hugged my mom. "Ms. Joelson, I will eat whatever you prepare. Thank you very much." He said, as my mom smiled.

The bond my mom and Nate have is just wonderful. I never thought she'd get along so well with him.

"This is really good, mom. Thanks for everything." I said, as I indulged in the warm homemade Shepherd's pie. My mom makes the best food. I only hope that one day I can cook this well for my family.

"Oh no need to thank me." She smiled. "You're here and it's my duty to make you feel at home in your home away from home."

"Where's dad?" I asked, noticing that my dad wasn't in the house.

"Oh, he's working. He went to Sherbrooke this morning for work. He'll be back by the evening."

"Okay. Well I have a whole day planned of sightseeing and other activities, so we'll see ya later mom." I said, as I kissed her cheek.

"Alright. Have fun. Be safe." She replied, as Nate hugged and kissed her cheek.

"You don't need help with dishes, do you?" I asked, remembering that there were dishes to wash.

She shook her head. "No, I'll throw them in the dishwasher since I have a nail appointment. You two enjoy your day."

"Okay. See you." I said, as we waved goodbye.

We walked to the train station and were on our way to Mount Royal, which is a huge mountain in the middle of Montreal. It is used for hiking, walking, driving and other purposes.

We got off at the train station and walked down the street to the mountain. There are some stairs and then you can start hiking up to the top.

Nate grabbed my hand. "Alaysia, are you sure about this?" He asked, as I giggled.

"Yes. I've done this many times. Once you get to the top, you'll be fine." I said, as he took a deep breath and continued walking.

After fifteen minutes, we made it and Nate couldn't believe his eyes.

"This is breathtaking!" He nearly shouted as I laughed.

"I told you." I said, as we looked over the horizon to see the St. Lawrence River and entire city of Montreal.

We stayed there for a bit and took pictures before setting off on the next adventure.

"And this would be Old Montreal." I said, as we walked down the old cobble stone sidewalk.