Chapter 57. Paparazzi

"Alaysia, Alaysia! Look over here beautiful. Let's see that gorgeous ring!" The paparazzi yelled as Nate and I exited our hotel. We were heading to the airport to catch our flight back home after a quite eventful stay in France.

"How did they know I was here?" I whispered to Nate who was holding onto my hand as we attempted to maneuver our way through the paparazzi to our taxi.

"I think someone in the hotel notified them. That's the only way." He whispered back as we reached the taxi, put in our luggage and got in.

"I think I should get my security guard back. What do you think?" I asked as he was still holding my hand.

He looked at me with a straight face. "I think it is a necessity. I don't like when the paparazzi is shouting at you especially if you are alone. It's disturbing to me." He said quietly then looked out the taxi window.

"Hey.." I said. "You don't have to be scared. It will be fine. Paparazzi is apart of this business. It just takes some getting used to." I tried to reassure.

He shook his head as if he disapproved. "And they know about the engagement too. I wanted to keep that private. Now the whole world will know." He said, annoyed.

I laughed sarcastically. "Nate.. you can't be serious. If I have a ring on my finger, anyone would know I'm engaged. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out." I said as we pulled up at the airport.

"Alaysia, all I'm trying to do is protect the woman I love and if that's a problem...I'm sorry." He said as he entered the airport pulling his duffle bag behind him and leaving me a few steps behind.

I ran to catch up. "Nate, it's not a problem." I said as he continued to walk. "Nate, for goodness sake, would you stop?" I asked, trying to catch my breath.

"What?" He asked, turning around to face me abruptly.

I shook my head in annoyance. "Just forget it." I said, taking my stuff and walking to the check in.

•••

"You alright?" Nate asked, as I read my magazine. I was not interested in speaking to him. I didn't want everyone to hear our drama on the plane.

I shook my head, not looking up from the magazine.

"So.. you're not gonna talk anymore?" He asked, as I got even more annoyed.

Could he just be quiet and give me a chance?

"I'm reading." I blankly said.

"Alaysia, I.." he started again before I cut him off.

"You nothing. You have nothing to say. Just stay quiet." I said, without trying to sound rude, but not caring if I did.

I glanced at him to see him looking down at his feet.

He never knows when to stop.

•••

"This is your pilot speaking. We are now landing at JFK Airport. It is 20 degrees Celsius currently in New York. Please fasten your seatbelts to prepare for landing." The pilot announced as I fastened my seatbelt, Nate doing the same.
•••

"Surprise!" I heard as Nate and I stepped into my apartment. We hadn't spoken at all on the way home.

I was super jet lagged and just wanted to sleep.

I turned on the light to see both of our families and friends standing before us. I didn't expect it at all.

"Congrats on the engagement you two!" My mom said as Nate and I both stood in silence.

"What's wrong?" Nate's mom asked picking up on the awkward silence.

I tried to crack a smile, but didn't know how to respond.

We're engaged and are supposed to be happy, but we weren't.

"What happened?" Naya asked as she pulled me into the kitchen.

How do I even begin to explain?

"Um.. Naya.." I began not knowing how to continue. So many things transpired on the France trip and it really tested our relationship. Majority of it was my fault and I take full responsibility for my irresponsible actions.

"Alaysia, you can tell me. What's wrong? Are you guys breaking up?" She asked, a look of concern appearing on her face.

I shook my head. "No, no we are not."

"Okay, so what's happening?" She asked again.

I hate talking about my relationship with other people. Nate and I can handle issues on our own. I love the support, but sometimes I need some space for myself.

"We had a disagreement. That's all." I answered, not feeling like divulging everything to my future sister in law.

"Oh.. okay." She replied, noticing that I didn't really want to discuss it further.

"Should we leave then to give you guys some space?" She asked, as I shrugged.

"I don't know. Everyone is here and this was nice of you guys, but I'm not in the mood to be honest."

She nodded before turning to face me once more. "Alaysia, I just care about what happens with you and Nate because you're the best thing that's ever happened to my brother. When he told me he was gonna propose, he was overjoyed and I was too. I am rooting for you guys. Relationships and marriages aren't easy, but love is strong and I believe that love will get you guys through whatever it is. I love you." She said, as tears formed in my eyes.

She is just the sweetest girl with a heart of gold.

I wrapped my arms around her. "Thank you, I love you too."

•••

After half an hour of chatting, everyone had left at Nate's request. I was actually surprised that he asked them to leave.

"Are you okay?" I asked, as he sat on the couch in silence.

"Yeah, I'm good. What about you?"

I smiled. "I'm good too. You know what Naya told me?"

"No. What'd she say?" He asked as he stood up.

"That love is strong and that the love we have for each other will get us through anything. And I think she is right." I said, walking towards him.

"I think so too. I love you so much and I never want you getting hurt or manipulated." He said,as I placed my hands on his cheeks.

"And I love you." I said and kissed him.

"Please just promise me that what happened in Paris will never happen again. I understand that there was miscommunication and I'm sorry we had to go through that." He said, holding my hand tightly.

"I promise. I would never want that to happen again anyways. It's too terrible to even remember." I joked, as we both laughed.