Chapter 61. Father

"You're mom told me what happened." My dad somberly said as I stepped into the living room.

I was at my parents house for the holidays. It's always nice to come home and relax, especially after what occurred with Nate and I.

I sat down and looked at him as if I didn't know what he was referring to. Although, he recently came back into my life, he rather quickly picked up on my personality and moods. He knows what I'm feeling before anyone else does just by looking at me, which is quite incredible actually.

"Alaysia, you can talk to me about it." He continued as I put my head in my hands.

"Dad... I just.." I began as my phone beeped. I looked at the screen to see a text from Nate.

Merry Christmas, hope you're enjoying it with your family. I hope the new year brings you nothing but joy and success.

xx Nate

As I read the text, tears came to my eyes. This was our first Christmas apart since we've been together and it was beyond difficult.

"What is it Alaysia?" Dad asked, as he came to sit beside me.

I quickly put my phone away and gave him my undivided attention.

"Nate just wished me a merry Christmas." I said quietly, wiping tears from my eyes.

"You miss him don't you?" He asked as I nodded and put my arm around his side.

"I understand how you feel, but have you ever considered the fact that a break is good?"

I sat silent for a moment. "You sound like Nate, that's exactly what he was saying."

Dad chuckled as I had to laugh myself.

"Well, if two people are saying it, it must be true. I really would like you to use this time wisely and prepare yourself in case you two don't get back together."

I rolled my eyes at his words. In case you two don't get back together.

"I am using it wisely. I've been meditating, going to church, exercising, eating healthy, focusing on myself, you and mom. What else is there for me to do?" I asked, feeling about ready to get up and go to bed.

"Just what I said. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. What would be the worst thing that could happen with you and Nate?"

I crossed my arms over my chest. "The worst thing is if he doesn't want to get back together and the best thing is if we get married and live happily ever after."

"Right. I feel like you became too comfortable in the relationship. Yes, you must love your significant other and be there for them, but you can't get too attached, especially because you two aren't married yet. Do you see what I'm saying?" He asked, as I nodded quickly.

He was right. I was attached. I get attached easily and it's one of my worst qualities. Anytime I find comfort in something or someone, I tend to get attached. That's how my alcoholism started.

"Good. You just have to be prepared for anything because when you're glued to somebody, anything will break your heart because you're vulnerable. That's why every trial and tribulation in your relationship has affected you more than it seems to affect Nate." He added on as I comprehended every single word.

He was speaking some truth.

I had always wondered why I was always more hurt by every issue in our relationship than Nate and my dad just discovered the reason.

"Remember, because he isn't as emotional as you doesn't mean he doesn't love you. He just has a harder shell and I want you to develop a harder shell as well."

"And how exactly do I go about doing this?" I asked seriously.

"It won't happen overnight, Alaysia. It takes time to strengthen yourself mentally and emotionally. That's why you should use this break to do it and also be ready if either of you decide that you don't want to reunite."

I pondered about it for a while. If Nate and I don't get back together, what will happen?

Nothing. Nothing at all because I will still be myself, I'll still have my wonderful family and I will still have my future ahead of me.

Therefore, I won't lose anything. I'll just be a stronger young woman with more life experience.

"Honestly, if we reconcile that's great. If not, it won't take anything away from me." I said, smiling for the first time in weeks.

A smile appeared on dad's face as he saw mine. "That's my girl. That's the kind of optimism I want to hear. That's all I want you to realize. Relationships are important, but they aren't everything. They don't define you as a person."

"Thanks for opening my eyes, papi. Te amo." I said, leaning over to kiss him on the cheek.

He laughed. "I will always be here to open your eyes, don't you worry."

"Should I text Nate back?" I asked, unsure about what to do.

He sipped his coffee, looked at me then put the cup down. "Yes, you should and you know why?"

I looked at him confused. "No, why?"

"Because you're a strong young woman who can do anything and doesn't need a fiancé to make her feel okay."

I laughed. "You're simply the best dad."

"Yeah... I'd like to think so." He joked as we laughed hysterically.

I picked up my phone and texted Nate.

Thanks for the well wishes. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your family as well. Take care.

x Alaysia