Chapter 29: Fix Me, Make Me Better

Hermione starts to run after her but Draco runs up behind her, grabbing her hand.

"Leave it, for now, we don't want to push her. I'd imagine she's scared of something she can't control and scared that someone will find out about it." He tells her.

"I know how she's feeling." Hermione sighs. "I went through the same thing when I was her age. It's why she needs me to explain to her what's happening." She stops suddenly at the end of her Uncle David's drive, making Draco stop with her. She grips hold of his hand tightly. "I can't believe Sophie's a Muggleborn. I know you told me one of my cousins was but I still didn't truly believe it until I saw Sophie on that swing." She admits. "We're going to have to tell my uncle David at some point. Once we've gotten Sophie to talk about it." She frowns, not looking forward to admitting to her uncle that she's been lying about pretty much everything for the past eight years.

"I think we should wait until we've been to the Ministry and checked your ancestry. If it turns that the Karina Rowle is your ancestor, then we can use your family tree to explain it to him." Draco suggests to which she nods.

"Come on, we should go say hello to my uncle David." She says as they walk towards the front door, which Sophie left wide open.

"What's wrong with Sophie?" David asks as they enter the house, closing the front door behind her. "Did the play go well?" He wonders, glancing up the stairs where Draco assumes Sophie ran off to.

"I'm afraid that's my fault, we took Sophie to the playpark on the way here and I might have pushed her too higher." He explains, taking the blame.

David shakes his head with a chuckle. "She's scared of heights." He explains, leading them into the kitchen. "So, how was the play?" He asks as he fills the kettle on.

"It was amazing. Did you know Sophie was adult Nala?" Hermione asks, taking a seat at the kitchen table. Draco takes the seat next to her.

"Who?" David frowns, confused, as he flicks the switch on the kettle to boil.

"Nala, from the Lion King." She tries to explain but he just shrugs shaking his head. "You haven't seen it?" She rhetorically asks.

"Do you know what she's on about?" David asks him.

"The first time I heard about it was when Sophie asked us to see her play. We watched it the other day." He explains.

"Is it any good? I might rent it from Blockbusters for Sophie, Lauren, Craig and I tomorrow night." He ponders as he takes three cups out of the cupboard.

"I fell asleep so I'm not sure but the play was great," Draco admits, making David laugh as he makes them all cups of tea.

David sets the cups down on the kitchen table, taking a seat opposite them before sipping at the boiling beverage with a wince. He glances at his watch and sighs.

"I suppose I'll have to think about dinner soon." He grumbles. "Care to join us?" He offers.

"We actually took Sophie out for dinner after the play," Hermione tells him.

"Well, that'll save me an hour or so. I've got a tonne of marking to get through, most of it year eleven's GCSE coursework." He sighs. "Why I chose to become a teacher I'll never know." He laughs then looks at Hermione. "Oh, sorry love. I mean, teaching is great, the pupils are a delight and it's such a rewarding career." He nods with a fake grin plastered on his face.

Hermione laughs at him whilst Draco watches, confused.

"If you hate teaching so much, why don't you change professions?" He asks.