Chapter 141: I Shouldn't Have Said That

September arrives quicker than Sophie expected. The beginning of summer dragged on as she wasted weeks ignoring her father and wishing days would roll by faster. Although, their family holiday was a turning point. After talking to her father about her worries, the last week of August flew by with days full of father-daughter activities.

Now, the night before the first of September, Sophie can't sleep. Her stomach is in knots with nerves, and her heart is heavy with guilt. She wishes she had more time to spend with her dad because tomorrow morning would be the last time she'd see him until Christmas.

Sliding out of her bed, Sophie clicks on her desk lamp and unfurls the last letter she had received from Elizabeth Montgomery. Her friend had informed her at the beginning of August that her French cousin would be joining them at Hogwarts instead of attending Bauxbaton. Sophie had felt jealous and discarded, so she hadn't replied. Reaching for her parchment and quill, Sophie finally scribbles a reply, hoping Elizabeth hasn't forgotten about her. After sending Athena on her way, Sophie climbs into bed, slightly less nervous. It's only ten o'clock, so hopefully, Elizabeth will reply in the next hour or two.

Five hours later, Sophie is wide-eyed, staring at the stars on her ceiling. Obviously, Elizabeth no longer wants to be her friend; otherwise, she would have replied. Why would Elizabeth want to be her friend anyway? Curling up on her side, Sophie feels her tears dripping down her cheeks as she tries to sleep.

For Sophie, her few hours of sleep felt like a blink. The sun shining through her window is the only indication that she slept. Feeling groggy, Sophie descends the staircase, stopping at the bottom when she hears her dad speaking to someone. She hopes it isn't her mother. David had called Gwen as soon as they returned from their holiday. It had been awful, listening at his bedroom door as her father shouted at Gwen until she agreed not to show up at King's Cross.

Peering into the kitchen, Sophie finds Hermione and Draco, dressed in matching beautiful robes, sitting at the kitchen table.

"What are you guys doing here?" Sophie runs, wrapping her arms around Hermione in a much-needed hug.

"We wanted to see you today, and this is our only chance," Hermione explains, returning the hug. "How are you? You look tired. Did you get enough sleep last night?"

"No." Sophie shakes her head. "I was too nervous," She explains.

"Classes don't start until Monday, so you'll have the weekend to rest and make friends," Hermione assures her.

Sophie swallows hard, awkwardly glancing down at her feet, "Elizabeth hasn't replied to my last letter. I asked if I could sit with her and her cousin; now I'm going to be on my own."

"We know the Montgomery family," Draco mentions. "They're a respectable family. I'm sure Elizabeth will go out of her way to make you feel welcome."

Hermione hugs her again. "We must get going; we have meetings all day at Hogwarts."

Draco offers her his hand, but Sophie hugs him. He has been a grateful addition to her family since he married Hermione.

"Remember what I told you," Draco states, holding her at arm's length. "Walk with confidence, and you'll be fine."

Sophie stands tall, rolling her shoulders back and holding her head high.

"You've got this." Draco smiles. "We'll see you in the Great Hall," he adds before they leave.

After bidding them goodbye, David turns to his daughter and asks, "Breakfast in the city?"

"Yes, please."

Sophie races upstairs, quickly dressing in jeans and a jumper (as Hermione had advised), then brushes her teeth and styles her curly hair out of her face with a handful of blue butterfly clips. "I'm ready to go."