Chapter 78: She'll Outlive Us All

Draco and Hermione stand on the platform of Tiverton Parkway railway station, staring at a paper map of Tiverton town, trying to figure out how to get to the town centre from the railway station.

"That can't be right." Draco frowns as he turns the map around.

"It must be. Here's the railway station, and there's the town." Hermione points at the two points on the map.

"I'm going to ask someone." Draco passes the map to Hermione, scanning the platform for another person. "Excuse me," He calls out to a passing man pulling a suitcase. "Do you know how far the town centre is from here?" He asks.

"Which town centre?" The older man asks.

"Tiverton."

"It's about six miles east of here. I'm getting a taxi to a hotel in Tiverton; you two can join me if you like. Share the fare." He suggests.

Draco glances at Hermione.

"That'll be great, thank you." Hermione smiles.

"The taxi should be waiting; I booked it for half-past nine." The man states as he leads them through the ticket office building and out into the carpark where a taxi is waiting.

"Mr Jones?" The drive calls out of the passenger side window.

"Yes, that's me." Mr Jones opens the boot himself, placing his suitcase inside before closing it and climbing in the passenger side, allowing Draco and Hermione to sit together in the back seat.

"The Bridge Guest House?" The driver asks.

"Yes," Mr Jones sighs. "It's a dump, but it's in the middle of town away from the stench of the farms." He scrunches his nose in disgust. "Where are the two of you from?" He asks, turning in his seat to look at them.

"We're from London." Hermione answers.

"Fellow Londoners." Mr Jones nods. "I come here once a year to meet with an old man who owns an antique shop. I sell some of his furniture in my auction house for a commission. It's the worst three days of my year, but I make a fifth of my annual salary. A necessary evil." He shrugs with a self-satisfied grin. "What brings you here?" He asks.

"We're visiting my Uncle." Draco answers.

"Do you usually drive down?" Mr Jones asks.

"No," Draco frowns.

"This is our first time meeting him," Hermione explains. "He's kind of a long-lost relative."

"Ah, the black sheep. Every family has one." Mr Jones smirks. "You must be excited then. To get back into contact."

"He doesn't know I exist," Draco says.

"So, this is a surprise. How do you know this Uncle of yours wants to meet you? He's gone, I'll say at least twenty years by the look of you, without his family. Why do you think he'll care about you?" Mr Jones asks him rhetorically, turning back around as the taxi driver pulls up outside his hotel.

Hermione reaches over to pass the taxi driver a five-pound note but Mr Jones pushes her hand back, I've got it. A thank you for your company." He states, passing ten pounds of his own money to the taxi driver as he climbs out, heading to the boot to retrieve his suitcase.

Draco and Hermione climb out, uncertain of their next step as they stand on the path.

"It was nice meeting you. I hope all goes well for you." He nods before leaving.

"We should have asked the taxi driver where we can find Rackenford Road," Hermione mentions as they glance up and down the road.

"How about a quick cup of tea at the café up there? It's impolite to visit people, unannounced, before nine o'clock." He takes her hand, leading her up the hill towards a café on a terrace.