Pine, Peppermint and Parchment / George

The school year had just begun, and Maegan entered the Potions class with Hermione by her side and Harry and Ron hot on their heels. Professor Slughorn was standing at the front of the class, beside a high table which held a few similar yet different cauldrons.

The Potions Master asked them all to gather around the table as soon as everybody had entered the class, and one particular potion caught Maegan's eye. The cauldron was pitch-black and looked heavy, though, in general, it did look ordinary. However, there were pink clouds spiralling above it, which made her wonder what the potion could be.

"Does anybody know what this is?" Professor Slughorn asked, gaining Maegan's attention and, unsurprisingly, Hermione's hand was the first to shoot up into the air. "Yes, Miss Granger?" He nodded at her, and Hermione stepped forward.

"It's Amortentia, sir, the most powerful love potion in the world." Hermione said. Maegan stopped listening then, not on purpose but her mind had wandered off to wondering what a cauldron full of the most powerful love potion was doing in the middle of their class.

"-and it's supposed to smell different to each one of us, according to what attracts us, and I can smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and-" Hermione stopped, her cheeks flushing but Maegan hardly acknowledged that - her brain was occupied with registering the different scents that hit her.

There was a mixture that she identified as pine, peppermint and parchment next to the familiar scent of the sea, rose petals and also fresh linen. However, the mixture was what surprised her the most because she was sure she hadn't smelled something like that before, at least not in a long time.

Professor Slughorn had apparently approved of Hermione's answer - whatever the other half had been - and Maegan guessed he'd seen the swooning faces of most girls seeing as he was quick to cover the cauldron.

The class went on, but that particular mixture of scents still bugged her, because she knew it had to belong to a person, but it wasn't her boyfriend, Ralph's, nor was it anybody in her year. But who could she find attractive, then?

The door burst open just when Maegan finished reminiscing that particular day, and Maegan looked up to find her best friend standing in the doorway. "Really, Maegan?" Hermione resting her hands on her hips as she stared at her with that typical, judging look.

"What?" Maegan raised her eyebrows, although she knew the answer.

"Everybody's been wondering where you've been, you can't stay up here all day, you need to socialise." Hermione rolled her eyes, walking over and seating herself at the foot of the bed. Maegan rested her elbows on her knees and her chin in her hands, sighing.

"Hermione, I can't stop thinking about it." Maegan noticed how she sounded extremely depressed and she realised she did feel as if she hadn't smiled in ages, though it had only been a few days since Ralph had put an end to their relationship, and a few more since their huge fight.

"I know, Mae," Hermione's voice and eyes expressed sympathy and concern, "But you need to have fun. Don't let that git ruin your summer."

"I guess you've got a point." Maegan sighed. "I'm still confused about the scent, though..."

"You won't be for long," Hermione giggled a giggle that was uncharacteristically Hermione, before she got up and rushed off, not allowing Maegan to ask her what she meant. She was left alone, but quickly decided to go and freshen up.