thirty four

A few days later...

Grayson's POV

My world felt empty now. The only one I had now, was Bella. I intend to keep it that way.

I had no motivation to do anything at all. The funeral was tomorrow and I had a lot of decisions to make. I'm having her mom come over to help me with some.

I can't do this on my own.

I enter the kitchen and look around at the cluttered counter. A new priority I had was cleaning.

I grab a pile of papers and fix it neatly. An envelope falls from the pile and hits the ground. I groan and bend down to grab it.

I find the letter Ethan had wrote me. I never finished the whole letter because it killed me half way through.

I sigh and shake my head. "I shouldn't", I mutter. I scratch the back of my head and debate whether I should read it or not.

Grayson,

I can't tell you how sorry I am for all the mistakes I've made. You are the guy I've always looked up to. You're the only guy that understood me. Sometimes, you were the only guy I had. You were my best friend, and always will be.

I took your place of being Bella's father so she could start growing up with a father-figure when you weren't able to provide that for her. Little did I know Anna and I would end up the way we did, but she belongs to you.

I know you probably haven't found this out yet, but Anna has leukemia. I know that because I am (was) a doctor and I knew that her sighs weren't pregnancy signs. I knew the way she looked and acted had to mean something.

If she does end up joining me in the light, I'll take care of her until your day arrives. I will protect her and treat her better than I used to.

With love,

Ethan.

I crumble up the letter and throw it across the room. "Don't you dare cry", I smack my cheek.

ding dong

"Ugh", I groan.

I run to the door and drop the pile of papers to the floor. I open the door and see Pam. "Hey", I weakly smile.

"Hey, can I come in?"

"I guess", I scratch the back of my head. She walks in and sets her coat on the coat rack. I close the door and start heading to the kitchen.

"Wow, certainly a mess you got here".

"Yeah, I know", we both enter the kitchen.

"Where's Bella?"

"Do you ever stop asking questions?" I stop to turn around and look at her. She looks down and sighs. "Sorry, I was just wondering."

"She's at preschool. So why are you here?"

"I wanted to give you something", she opens her purse. "If it's money, food, or some sympathy gift, I don't want it. Look around".

She looks up and glances at the kitchen table that was full of letters, gifts, flowers, and food. "It's not", she says softly.

She brings out a stack of letters and sorts through it. "What are those?"

"Anna told me to give this to you", she says slowly. I snatch it from her hand and feel my stomach turn.

"When did she give you this?"

"Last week", she says.

I open the envelope and pull out the neatly written letter. I take a deep breath before reading.

I had to stay strong.

Gray,

You're probably just now receiving this letter from Pam. Thank her for me please. I love you so much. I don't want you to be sad anymore. I want you to live on. Make sure Bella grows up to be a good kid, which I highly believe she will be.

We've gone through a lot, but we're still together. Although I'm not visible anymore, I'll always be with you.

I want you to do me a favor even if you don't want to. I want you to be with Pam. I trust her with my life. She's such a great trustworthy friend. I can't bare to see you lonely.

Growing up with you everyday since we were kids was a blessing. It beyond grateful that god gave me you.

You'll always be the boy in my heart.

I'll always love you forever and always,

Anna.

I found myself smiling with very little tears. I'm not exactly sure how I felt. I look up at Pam. Whenever I look at Pam, I see Anna.

I had big decisions to make.

But Anna will always be mine forever and always.

Authors note
GUYS! ONE MORE CHAPTER! ITS THE EPILOGUE! SO GET READY, WELL... YOU PROBABLY WON'T EVER BE😂😂 I PROMISE YOU THAT IT GETS BETTER AND IT WILL NOT BE THAT SAD AS THE RECENT CHAPTERS WERE.

I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR ALL OF THE COMMENTS, VOTES, FOLLOWS, ETC. WHEN I STARTED WRITING 'THE BOY NEXT DOOR' NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WOULD I HAVE THOUGHT IT WOULD GAIN THAT MUCH ATTENTION. ITS FUCKING CRAZY. YOU HAVE MADE ME SO HAPPY THIS PAST YEAR AND I CANT TELL YOU HOW FUCKING GRATEFUL I AM FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU. I LOVE YOU

✌🏼