Chapter 8- She Looks So Perfect

Vicky Dicky: Random team emergency meeting at the hotel….NOW.

I stared at the text and wanted to crush my phone in my hand but all I was able to do was wrap my hands tightly around it and causing it to turn red. The veins in my hand popped out a little and then I found myself crushing the Starbucks cup that I held in my other hand. Stupid team ‘emergency’ meetings, why now? Why do we have to have one as I am on a date? God damn it.

“Something wrong babe?” Luke questions.

“Vicky texted me that we’re having an emergency team meeting at the hotel now. I’m sorry. I really didn’t know that this was going to happen so I apologize greatly.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll work around it.” We both stand up with our drinks and he walks me back to the hotel. Neither of us said anything on the walk but we did kiss each other goodbye and part our ways. Out in the distance I see Vicky and the others waving frantically at me. I throw my Starbucks away and walk over to them.

“You disturbed my date.” I mumbled angrily.

“Not our fault. Now hurry up Cap! You’re the one we’re waiting for.” The girls grab my hand and drag me to the elevator and up we go to the business floor and straightaway to the business room where the rest of the team and our staff were. Coach instructs me to sit down but I politely decline and just stand up while resting against the wall.

“I’m sorry for this impromptu meeting but this is highly important for tonight’s game.” Coach points at the projector and a picture of a woman comes up. We stare at him confused, we can tell she’s a hockey player by the jersey and all that stuff she is wearing but none of us recognise her. At least I think none of us do. “Do any of you know her?”

“Lilliana Collins? The American Psycho?” Neta chimed in.

“Who is that?” Shae-Leigh asked. Neta seemed to be the only one that knows who she is.

“Lilliana Collins, she’s like the worst of the worst. Everyone’s nightmare. She will smash you; I’ve heard she’s capable of breaking at least five bones in one hit.” I look over to Coach and I see him give me a sympathetic look.

“Am I playing?” I ask.

“Speaking in Medical terms no and we want to be safe with you Nicole. You’re our best player and we cannot afford to get you into far more injuries this early in the competition. We know how much you want to play but with Lilliana Collins in the game tonight, we’ll have Francesca replace you and we’ve already got a draft for the different line changes.” I look over at all the girls, the staff and they’re all agreeing with coach.

“I’m playing.” I declare.

“Nicole, we know but-.”

“No buts and that’s final. I came here to play and I will leave playing. This broken nose and concussion will not stop me.” No one said anything else and no one even tried to stop me when it came to me storming out of the room and heading out and up to my room. From there I slammed the door and fell onto the floor.

Did they not remember what happened yesterday? I got a concussion, broke my nose, was sent to the hospital and then came back to win the game. But if they don’t want me there just because they’re afraid of me getting more hurt, then fine. I won’t go then. Let them play without me and then see that it was a mistake to let everyone else suffer through Lilliana Collins while I sit back and relax?

Whatever. What to do? I sure as heck need some time alone. Not in this hotel, where I know my team mates can find me. THE MALL. That’s the one place they’d suspect I’d go but wouldn’t be bothered to go to. So I grabbed all my things and headed for the lobby. Taking a taxi and telling him to go to the mall. For a moment I felt a little soothed out not until we crashed into something and the taxi stopped abruptly.