Chapter 11- An End to Something Lovely

“You going to be alright?” Gabe asks as the two of us leave the little café where we were eating. I nod and he doesn’t say anything else. Within me I know that I am not going to be alright but I’ve got to try. For Luke and for anyone else that care about me. “Marty says the Lightning will be here and um, he wants to take you out after the game. Steven’s orders.” Gabe smiled and we headed back to the hotel.

“Thanks for letting me talk to you Gabe. It really means a lot.”

“No problem.” Before leaving, I hugged Gabe and headed back up to my room. “Babe I’m back.” I call out. Luke didn’t answer, he must still be asleep. I walk further into the room and see him sitting up right with his back facing me. Alright, so he isn’t asleep. “Babe?” Luke doesn’t answer. “Babe.” Still no answer. “God damn it Luke what the hell is wrong with you?” I asked angrily.

“How was your date with Gabe?” He questions. I was a little taken back by this question. How does he even know I went out with Gabe? And since when was it a ‘date’? I stood there confused. “I bet you’re planning to leave me and you’re just making the arrangements with Gabe.” Finally Luke stood up, his hand wrapped around his phone tightly. Tears were threatening to drop out of his eyes.

“What the hell are you saying? I just went to talk to him.” I explained but Luke wasn’t taking any of it. He begins to sarcastically laugh to himself and it hurt hearing it.

“You know, I trusted you and usually this wouldn’t bother me as much and I would just leave but it bothers me a lot because you’re my best friend. Or at least I thought you were.” He lost it there. It hurt to see him like this and I was still confused as to why this fight was even happening.

“I’m sorry but I’m still lost here.”

“You went to talk to Gabe. But I know it wasn’t just any talk. Michael told me how close you guys were in the lobby and how he whispered in your ear and then ugh! Hearing about my girlfriend cheating on me…” Now I get it. He thinks I’m cheating on him just because I talked to one guy and because he hugged me to make sure I am alright?

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” I cut him off. “I guess you have forgotten what has happened to me Lucas. My father passed away, my brother is in the hospital. I am grieving Luke! And when you are grieving, you need support! My brother’s friends and team mates have come all the way from fucking AMERICA to be by my side to help me get through with this! And since I’m dating you, you should be giving me even more support than a whole hockey team can! But I guess you’d rather jump to conclusion which to me seems like you’re not serious about his relationship. And if that’s the case….” I stopped for a moment to breath. Being angry is tiring. “…then I don’t want a relationship.”

Luke’s facial expression disappears, he drops his phone on the ground and he goes still. Not moving a single body muscle. “Are you….” Luke swallows down the lump in his throat and stares at me. “….breaking up with me?”

“Oh now you regret being such a dick to me! Learn to grow up Lucas. We’re not 7 years old anymore.” I stomped out of the room and headed back down to the lobby of the hotel, I spot Michael and the other boys. Each of them looks at me and they seemed like they wanted to run when I approached them.

You.” I angrily point at Michael. “You’re such an asshole! And to think I thought you were the most responsible out of the four! Fuck you Michael!” In my rage of anger, I pushed Michael and stormed out of the hotel. As I did, I passed Gabe. He tried to stop me but I ignored him. “LEAVE ME A LONE!” I shouted. With the tears in my eyes, I really didn’t know where I was going. This time when I opened my eyes I found myself in the same place I went to when I was told about my father.