Epilogue

~20 years later~

As I prepared the salad, I heard the doorbell ring. “COMING!” I shout. “Greg, do you mind taking care of the salad while I go get the door?” I ask my son, he nods and takes over my place. When I walk over to the door, Abigail comes down the stairs and smiles over at me. I smile at her and open the door. Standing there is Calum, Vicky and their twin children Wesley and Amanda both whom just turned 13 yesterday. “Hi guys!” I greeted them. Giving Wesley and Amanda hugs, they ran inside and quickly went to Abigail and Greg. “So glad you guys could make it.”

“It’s Sunday you Dumbo. We’ve been having the tradition of Sunday barbeques since we all moved to Tampa.” Vicky rolls her eyes at me. “By the way I brought dessert.” She holds up a tray with brownies inside, she walks in and I give Calum a hug and then close the door. “Greg, I hope you’re not teaching Wesley how to play violent video games.”

“I’m not, don’t worry Aunt Vicky.” Greg politely smiles at her and asks Wesley if he wants to go play soccer. Wesley agrees and the two boys happily go to the backyard and kick around the ball. Despite their seven year difference, Greg was amazing with the kids. And I knew that Luke and I raised him right. Speaking of Luke, he hasn’t come downstairs yet.

“Hey Abbey, where’s your father?” I ask my daughter, who was currently frosting some cupcakes, with the help of Amanda. She shrugs he shoulders and places the icing bag down.

“Maybe upstairs. I haven’t seen him since the morning.” I thank her and go upstairs. Entering the master bedroom and seeing Luke on the bed with his guitar. Even though the band ‘separated’ about 10 years ago, he’s still into the music. When the kids were still babies, he would serenade them to sleep, even bringing back the childhood memories of him singing Lion King Songs. Seeing the kids grow up have been amazing, seeing the other boys kids grow up was awesome too but now that Greg is 20, in University and Abigail is 19 and just graduated, time flew by too quickly.

“Hey babe.” I say. Luke turns around and smiles at me. Waving me over to sit down with him. I close the door and take a seat next to him. “What are you doing?”

“Playing my guitar. I was looking through some of my old stuff and found this.” Luke grabs a couple of sheets of paper and hands it over to me. All of these must be really old because some of the ink has faded but Luke must have preserved these very well if they weren’t faded too much. I could still read what was written and that was when I noticed, it’s my song. The song he wrote for me 20 years ago. He hasn’t sung this song in almost 12 years. “I thought it could be like the old times, you know? Would you care to sit on my lap?” Remembering the first time he sang it to me, I sit on Luke’s lap and he places the guitar on me and wraps his arms around me and onto the guitar.

The all too familiar sound comes into my ears and I could feel myself want to cry. Hearing it again after so many years, having him perform it this close to me, it was like being 17 Again.

Simmer Down

Simmer Down

They say we’re too young now to amount to anything else

But look around

We work too damn hard for this just to give it up now

If you don’t swim

You’ll drown

But don’t move honey

Just like the one time he sang to me, Luke stopped just to give me a kiss on the cheek. After the kiss he resumed to singing.