It'll Be Fine (19)

Scarlett's POV

What is the point anymore? All those promises, they were for nothing. He said he'd never break my heart ever again. It was still raining, but not as aggressively as before. Where do I go? I've just moved to London, so Manchester is hardly an option. Charlie and I could meet up if the sky clears up, she is on her way anyway.

I decided to give her a ring.

"Charlie?" I asked down the line. I could hear my voice echoing from the other side.

"What's wrong Scarlett, is everything alright?" She sounded concerned, so maybe there was something visibly wrong in my voice.

"Um not really, are you still on the train?"

"Yeah, but we'll be there in ten minutes or so." Charlie said.

"Oh, good. It's been raining, but do you want to meet outside of Starbucks? It's just down the road from Dan and Phil's place." 

"Yeah okay. I'll see you there." Charlie replied then hung up.

My feet walked through individual puddles which had formed on the ground. I didn't care, and my shoes weren't exactly water proof. Just then, my phone started to ring again! I took it out of my bag and checked the caller ID. Summer.

"We need to talk." Summer said, whispering.

"What? Well, yeah, okay, sure." I said. "Where are you? Why are you whispering?"

"I'm just in the bathroom. Um you know how Dan found Marcus' number in your jacket pocket?"

"Yeah..." I said, dragging my words.

"Well, I kinda put it in there."

"YOU WHAT?" I screamed. A few heads turned to face me and I felt my cheeks burning up.

"I um, put it there. Remember when you and Dan set me and Phil up on a date? And I used your jacket? When things didn't work out I bumped into Marcus, and he gave me his number."

"Have you told Dan?" Summer asked.

"Honestly, I've tried but he just won't listen!" 

"Maybe it's just fate," I sighed. "Maybe we aren't supposed to be together."

Before Summer could repy I hung up. I walked over to Starbucks, sat down, ordered a coffee and waited a few moments for Charlie to arrive. She did, I noticed her bright hair from a mile. 

"What's up?" She asked, pulling up a seat.

"I think Dan and I broke up."

"You think?" 

"I don't know... I told him I never wanted to see him again, so you know. Do you have Marcus' number?" I asked. Charlie nodded and I got it from her. 

I dialled it and took a deep breath. "I'm Scarlett Evans, um, I'm friends with Summer who you bumped into not that long ago."

"I know, you're Dan Howell's girlfriend!" Marcus said.

"I have to talk to you, actually about that. I know you live in London, and I know we don't know each other, but can we meet up at Starbucks?" I asked him.

"Sure, when?" Marcus asked.

"Now." I said.

"Um sure thing, Scarlett, right?"

"That's it. Okay thanks bye." 

"So Marcus is coming?" Charlie asked.

"So it seems." I replied.

Marcus came in only the space of a few minutes. His dark blonde hair pulled up into a quiff and his totally hipster glasses balancing on his nose. He smiled when he saw me, and even so it was hard, I smiled back.

"Hello." Marcus grinned, pulling me into a hug.

"Hi, thanks for coming." I said.

"That's okay." Marcus said. "Let's talk."

I explained everything to Marcus. "Oh that's awful," he said. "You can stay at my house, it's not too far. If you want. And my ex left some of her clothes which look like they might fit you."

"I'm so sorry you and Naomi broke up," I said sadly. "And thanks Marcus, but I have a daughter..."

"She's welcome to stay too." Marcus grinned.

"Actually Annabel might want to stay with Dan?" Charlie said.

"You're right, Charlie do you think you can tell everyone but Dan about me staying with Marcus for a little bit?"

"Yeah, I'm going over there now." Charlie replied, before waving and then leaving.

Marcus walked me to his place.

Was this a bad idea? But what did I have to lose?

I don't love Dan, anymore.