thirteen

One year later

       "I can't thank you enough Doctor, you saved my life, if it weren't for you I'd probably be in a funeral home the day of my birthday" the middle aged lady grinned.

Doctor Lance held her hand in his giving it a slight squeeze. Although he hadn't slept in more then twenty hours  and hadn't took his dinner break he still got back to his patients with a smile. It was the job he chose and though it was a pain in the ass he loved it. When the patients thank him for saving their lives he gets this warm fuzzy feeling in his chest that gets him through another set of shifts and it all was worth it.

"No problem m'am, rest easy I'll be back tomorrow morning" Desmond smiled taking his chart off the table.

"Wait!" The lady said before he could walk out the door.

Desmond paused to her attention, "yes?"

The women's eyes traveled down to his ring finger, "are you married?" She asked.

"No, not yet. Just engaged" Desmond looked down to his ring finger then to the middle aged lady with a saddened look on her face.

"Oh...well your fiancé is really lucky. I bet she's great" 

Desmond chuckled at her words, for him it was the other way around. "No I think I'm the lucky one" he replied as he walked out of the room.

     He loved it when people brought up his engagement, he got to talk about Aurora and how they first met which was his parents personal favorite. It was all still surreal to him, he didn't actually think he'd get to be with her let alone engaged. Desmond stared at the gold band around his ring finger and couldn't help but smile, everytime he saw it he saw his beautiful Aurora.

"I'm glad you like it" Desmond jumped back startled to see Aurora in his office. At times like this he was thankful he had her.

"Baby? It's three am, why aren't you back at home sleeping?" Desmond said as he pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Because I miss you, that and I brought you food because I know you tend to skip your dinner" Aurora shamed Desmond pointing her finger to his chest.

"Well with food you can never go wrong" Desmond said as he reached for the white styrofoam box leaking amazing smells.

"I couldn't sleep, I couldn't stop thinking about the wedding" Aurora admitted as she bit down on her finger nail.

"It's more then a month away darling, don't stress yourself. We can always cancel the wedding and just have a small one for me and you" Desmond said. He would do anything for Aurora, she was his heart and if she didn't feel comfortable doing something he'd take the pressure onto his in a second. They had spent three months planning this wedding out and the pressure of having two hundred people going wasn't helping, she hadn't even found a dress that she liked and she didn't know how these wedding things worked either.

"I know but we've worked so hard, I mean what couple forms a whole wedding in three months?"

"Us?" Desmond took her hand in his grazing the ring he put on her delicate hand, "I know you wanna have a big wedding darling but I also want you to feel okay about it, wedding jitters is normal"