thirty seven

Harry caressed Aurora's hair as she laid on the hospital bed half asleep. She had finally calmed down and was just in aftermath pain. They were waiting for the doctor to come with results on her X-rays to confirm she had indeed broken a rib. Aurora hoped it wasn't a big deal, she hoped it wasn't so she had to get surgery as she was aware of the risks. Not much for her but rather for the fetus.

"You tired?" Harry asked still stroking her hair.

"Yes but the pain takes away fifty percent of it" she chuckled. "Ouch. It hurts to laugh"

"You got this. Maybe we can ask the doctor for some pain killers?" Harry suggested.

Aurora shook her head. "I got this" she smiled.

The doctor came in with a smile easy on her face. Aurora wondered how doctors could even smile despite the fact that they were at work at this hour. They were also kind to her and it warmed her chest. Something about today was finally positive.

"Alright miss Valentine, looks like you won't need surgery but one of your ribs is still broken. I did notice that you were in a lot of pain earlier, are you worsening or?" The doctor asked holding the pen to the paper.

"It's still the same, excruciating though" Aurora sighed.

"Well it's a good thing you have someone to help you get through the pain" the doctor said grinning at Harry. "So Aurora, I can bring you narcotics or a nerve block for your pain, sound okay?"

Aurora shook her head. "I'm not supposed to"

"Why not?" The Doctor rose a brow.

Harry rolled his eyes playfully. "Because she's got this" He said as he rubbed the back of Aurora's hand.

"No, it's not that either. I figured the narcotics you're giving me for pain are strong right? Well I can't take narcotics at all. I'm pregnant" Aurora said.

His eyes went wide at her words. Harry stared at Aurora intently. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. And just like that she said it. Like nothing. Like if it wasn't big news to her.

The doctor glanced between Harry and Aurora with a confused look. "You're pregnant?" She asked.

"Yeah... " Aurora said biting the inside of her bottom lip.

"How far are you?"

"Like a week maybe, well since I found out"

Harry ran his hands through his hair trying not to lose his mind in front of the doctor.

"Well... there's not much we can really do. You said you took a strong hit to your side area but it's safe to check and see if the baby is alright"

Aurora looked at Harry with a sorry face. It probably would have been better if she tell him in a better way then to just pop up like a surprise.

"Okay" she replied to the the doctor.

"Okay Aurora. I'll grab a wheel chair so you can come with me over to the ultrasound room. Does boyfriend wanna stay in here?" The doctor asked looking to Harry.

Harry cleared his throat snapping out of his thoughts. "Uh, no. I'll come" he said as he stood up adjusting his sweatshirt.

"Okay then, I'll be back shortly" she smiled warmly leaving the room.

Aurora sighed out as soon as the door closed. "I can explain"

"Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you tell me before I-I, well you know?" Harry said emphasizing about their sex earlier.