twenty two

For the last hour and a half Desmond sat on the couch with Aurora pouring out all the secrets he contained. They both were on their second wine bottle but they couldn't think of a better time to drink it.

She had stayed quiet for most of the night letting Desmond say what ever he had to get off his chest. He was innocent in the most cruelest way, I mean he had drugs to last a life time and he was also a doctor, it was crazy to think of a doctor being someone's dealer and that thought made Aurora chuckle a bit.

"What's funny?" Desmond asked.

"I just think it's funny how people buy from a doctor, like do you have the best shit in town?" Aurora laughed.

"We all do bad things don't we? We're all not that innocent but it's what we do best that we should be known as" Desmond tilted the bottle to his lips.

Aurora took the bottle from his grasp and placed it on the side table. "I don't want you feeling sick tomorrow morning so just calm down on the liquor"

Desmond stood up adjusting his scrubs that he hadn't realized he was still in. "We should go to bed"

       Aurora laid with her eyes wide open. She stared up at the dark ceiling that wasn't even visible. She could only think about Desmond, his daughter, the money, the fucking cancer. It broke her heart to pieces, she couldn't imagine a child of her own having cancer, having a child was already hard enough for her to have already.

Aurora fell into a dark hole of thoughts. The same darkness she fell in every night she couldn't sleep.

At twenty two was the last time Aurora and Harry had tried for a baby. Harry was already noticing she couldn't have kids and wanted to see if it was possible if he really tried. They tried everyday and every night, still a painful nothing. Aurora could see Harry losing interest and it tore her insides apart. She was witnessing the love of her life fall out of love with her and shit like that you can never get over. A few days of trying with nothing resulted in a desperate Aurora. She saw many specialists all which said the same. She could possibly only have one child if she was lucky. Aurora didn't feel lucky though. She wondered how long she had to wait till she could get pregnant. How old did she have to be? How long until Harry losses complete interest? The answer? Not to long apparently.

Another night thinking about her problems was another night her cheeks were stained with tears, a dry throat, and a shaking body. She sobbed silently careful not to wake Desmond, poor thing, she was so guilt full for judging him without an explanation. She knew Desmond would never do this voluntarily but then again how had he bought this house if all the drug money went towards his daughters treatment? What ever the reason was she decided she wouldn't add on to it, she trusted him and she wasn't going to judge him right away again. She was sure there was a logical explanation.

She couldn't sleep, she shut her eyes tightly but still nothing. How could she sleep with news like this? When she was younger in high school she'd talk her issues with her parents, mainly to her dad but he was miles away and probably asleep too, probably hurting too.

Aurora shook her head from her thoughts. She laid on her side facing Desmond. She couldn't see him well but with the moons light she could make out his facial features. He was at peace, he was never an angry man, he's never treated her wrong, he's always loved her and what she was going to do he didn't deserve. She needed this though, it's a poor excuse but she needed it. She took her phone and rolled out of bed till the palms of her feet hit the cold floor. Quietly she made her way to the door and stopped to look back. Still asleep.

She opened the basement door being quickly greeted with the coldness. Aurora hugged herself as she continued down the steps. She didn't even know why her feet dragged her here, she was craving something to help her ease, something to calm her down. Her eyes were glued to the stack of cocaine and the stack of weed. She debated for a while before taking a bit of both.