c h a p t e r | XVI

BONDS OF DESTINY- XVI -

BONDS OF DESTINY
- XVI -

I was running through the woods, heart racing, my breaths uneven and hitched as screams tried to force their way out over my lips. I kept glancing backwards however only to catch a glimpse of complete darkness of the night. No sound was heard warning of danger, but I knew it was there right on my tail. I couldn't shake it off. It was gaining on me.

My foot caught onto a log I hadn't managed to jump over properly and I plummeted to the ground. I didn't hesitate as I moved my elbow under me pushing myself up from the ground again, my feet finding their footing and I kept on running.

"You can try to run, weakling, but you can never escape me," a voice boomed through the trees, a malicious and evil laughter accompanied the deep raspy voice, sending echo waves through the woods shaking me to the core.

Then I felt a large insensitive hand on my shoulder yanking me backwards, claws sinking into my skin making my blood spill and a deafening scream escaped me.

I was tossing and trashing against the strong hold somebody had on me, the scream still tearing at my throat as I was unable to open my eyes. Complete darkness had surrounded me. A darkness I could not escape.

"Skye! Skye! SKYE!" A voice screamed at me bringing my out of my panic state, and finally my eyes fluttered open in bewilderment, as I now stared at the familiar white and accommodating walls of my room at the penthouse. My breath coming out in rapid wheezing huffs, and I noticed how sore my throat had become by straining my vocal chords from the intensive screaming. I closed my eyes again, focussing on my breaths as I let my other senses come to themselves.

A presence was holding me tight, but soothingly. Nothing like the presence I felt just seconds before. A scent of rain surrounded me and I felt a roughness to my chin and jaw, which lightly scratched me by my moving posture caused by my still accelerated breathing. A hand was clasped around the back of my head, fingers entangled into my hair and I felt a hot pepperminty breath graze my neck and collarbone. The other arm of this presence was wrapped around my waist and I noticed I was tugged firmly into a hard sculptured chest. The skin against skin contact made a tingling sensation through my body and I became aware I was enveloped in Argent's embrace.

Finally my brain kicked into motion again and I now recalled how he had snapped me awake by use of his Alpha voice. I had been dreaming. A nightmare so vivid and real it could only be another memory. How come I hadn't just turned into a wolf and gained further distance to the monster who was hunting me? None of it made sense. I felt out in my mind after my wolf and found her cowering at the edge of my mind just as scared as I felt.

"You're safe now, I got you," Argent's voice rang out penetrating the silence which had settled in the room, and I unwillingly pulled myself slightly out of his embrace. He didn't let go of my waist, but the hand which had entangled itself in my hair was grabbing onto a strand of hair, slightly stroking it before he tugged it behind my ear, his hand resting on my cheek as his thumb moved in slow soothing circles.