c h a p t e r | XXXIV

BONDS OF DESTINY- XXXIV -

BONDS OF DESTINY
- XXXIV -

"ENOUGH!" The Devil Wolf roared out and the fighting ceased immediately. Even the infected humans stopped their vicious attacks on members of the different packs.

His eyes were still locked on mine, while I trashed against Argent's iron grip on me to prevent me from leaving.

"Enough of this," he said again this time more calm though the seriousness was not to be taken lightly and he slowly made his way towards us, which made Argent force us backwards.

"No more hiding, no more running," the ugly man said and even though the distance was still great between us, I could smell the same gagging scent that filled my nightmares emitting from him. Death was really clinging to him as if it was an eternal reminder of all the lives he had taken, but still it did not seem to weight him down and he continued advancing.

"I am the king of wolves, the true alpha of werewolves. I am Lycaon and no one escapes me," the man Lycaon proclaimed with grandeur and I stumbled on my feet by the breath that escaped me.

Lycaon, the ancestor that had given name to our whole species was him. Lycaon was the Devil Wolf. The very first part human part wolf and yet I had never seen anything more animalistic than him.

I tried stopping Argent from moving backwards, but little did it do me as he stubbornly kept retreating, his muscles strained but not by me trying to fight him off but by the creature in front of him.

"You can't fight him, Skye," Argent spoke up in my mind, while the rest of him was focussed on the man in front of us.

To my dread I saw Riley get off the couch and soon aided by Chase as they took a stance in front of us. He asked me not to fight and yet he would let others fight for us.

A fight they were destined to lose.

"We can take him from behind. There's no way he can take on all of us," Damian sounded in our heads, and I feverishly shook my head, from the absurdity of it all as I faintly registered Ryder and Caleb agreeing. They knew nothing mattered, they would never win. The Devil Wolf had taken down all the packs without blinking. What would be different now?

"You speak as if we have wronged you. You killed all those people. You killed my parents. You killed her brother," Argent responded his voice filled with loathing, though he steadily kept retreating.

"You killed a pregnant woman," Argent's voice dropped to a growling whisper and I stopped fighting against him for a brief second as it dawned on me. Kayla was pregnant. Shane was going to be a dad. I was supposed to have a niece or nephew and now that was taking from me too. Why had I not seen Shane's hesitation for what it was at the game or Argent's plead for me to find her?

"Why? Why are you doing this?" Argent spoke up again, now forcing me behind him as he stopped moving. Behind the grotesque shadow of a man I noticed Ryder and the others get in position, even Riley and Chase seemed ready to attack him head on by the first show of a sign. I clawed at Argent's back begging him to stop them, however he pressed me firmer into the wall that had forced us to a stop.