Chapter 9 - Sherwood

Despite the fact that she didn't like him Anne was concerned for Guy. She was not sure what exactly Genie's plans were for him and she really did not want to have to continue to drag him along with them. Although unknown to Anne, Genie had obviously been anxious to get to Sunderland, and she feared that Genie's focus was wavering. However, she did not like the way that Genie seemed to be treating him. Anne was inherently a good person, she knew Genie was as well so she didn't understand why she was being purposely cruel. No person should be treated cruelly; no matter what that person was actually capable of...except for Sheriff Vaisey and Prince John. She would gladly be the one to slip her dagger between their ribs.

After their breakfast was finished Genie ordered the younger women to tidy up the cave, "And make sure no one knows we were here!"

Anne hauled Guy to his feet and led him out to the willows, where she left him standing, tied to the tree. "I'll be back for you," she said and chucked him under the chin. She then tied the horses to the remaining trees and dismantled the screen. Genie took care to remove all traces of the fire. After the camp was taken care of Anne removed Guy's ropes and told him to get on Genie's horse. Genie mounted and led the group out of the camp. Anne followed on foot, using a branch to erase the hoof prints left in the sand. She mounted and spurred on her horse to catch up with the others.

As Genie and Guy rode together he asked, "So why are you headed to Sunderland exactly?"

"I'll tell you if you need to know." Genie said flatly.

"I'm not going to give up that easily on what you're doing and where you're going," he responded.

"Neither am I," Genie shot back. "I'll tell you when you need to know, not when you want to know."

Guy sighed a little impatiently. Why was she so stubborn? She was one hot headed woman; he kind of liked that. "You are one stubborn woman." he said to her quietly.

"And you are one stubborn man," she shot back.

He smirked a little as he held onto her back as they rode. Genie felt herself breathe in sharply a little, as she felt his hands on her shoulders and rolled her eyes. Of course he was doing it on purpose, so this time she let it go. As long as he didn't get feely, she didn't care at the moment. He was surprised that she didn't say anything when he touched her like that. He thought she might even like it.

There was a short silence between them, Genie broke the silence by saying, "I'll make a deal with you."

"Oh a sentence I like to hear," he said slowly.

"You listen to everything I say, and do as I say, and help defend us and maybe I'll be civil."

"I will not defend a band of women on the road!" There was another short pause. "How civil?" He asked.

"I'll give you food and perhaps even treat you like a human being. I'll let you think about it. It's either this or leaving you on the side of the road. Anne would have no problem with that."

"And you would have a problem with that?" he asked, teasing.

Another short pause. "Yes, I would." she said quietly. "Rich or poor person, I would not leave a person stranded in the middle of a road. So, you can decide by tonight, what your choice is. I will tell the ladies what your decision will be. If you chose to stay, then maybe she won't think I'm so cruel to you. I know she thinks I'm vicious on you, but I'll let her know as soon as you have made up your mind. Deal?"

Guy thought about it for a split second before he said a short, "Yes."

Genie sighed, almost relieved with his answer, "Alright. I look forward to knowing your answer."