Chapter 13 - Verdicts

Once Guy and Genie were returned to their cell and they were alone Maddie started questioning what happened. Genie tried to explain, but could not control her tears.

"Well, ladies. It turns out that the Bailiff is Genie's uncle," Guy said as he made a face.

"Oh my God," Catherine groaned. "We killed one of his men."

"And they killed Moira," Anne was sitting on the straw in the far corner of her cell, a scowl on her face. She pushed herself up off the ground, "Tit for tat. What can "Uncle Dewey" do for us? How many men were there to pass judgement? As if they can understand what we have been through." She leant against the bars almost nonchalantly.

Genie sniffed and ran her forearm across her nose. "I am sure he will do whatever he can. He was very sorry about it all."

"Sorry? Sorry? A hell of a lot of good that has done us! We are in here. Those men," she spat on the floor, her gaze fixed on the straw, "are deciding our fate. Men are the cause of all of this."

She looked up to find all 4 people staring at her. Catherine grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her. "The men of our village died. Your father. My father and brothers. Your husband. Guy has helped us. How can you lay all of this at their feet?"

Anne angrily sat back down, facing away from all of them.

**************************************

Meanwhile, in the Great Hall, the debate was in full swing. Men were arguing with the people beside them, with the people at the opposite table; the noise was deafening. On the dais, Lord Bingham, the sheriff and the bailiff were watching the proceedings. Finally, Bingham stood up.

"Gentlemen, GENTLEMEN," he shouted. When all eyes were on him, he proceeded. "You must come to a verdict. To do so fairly, you all must look at the facts. With regard to Gisborne, we know he is-"

Dewey interrupted, "Was."

Bingham rolled his eyes, "Was...a known lackey of Sheriff Vaisey. He participated in activities that were treasonous to King Richard. He cruelly murdered people without any inhibitions."

"However," the youngest of the landowners said, "he is very repentant for his actions."

The man beside him said, "That is only according to the girl. He did not defend himself."

Across the way someone argued, "That is worthy of him. He knows what he has done and is willing to face the consequences." Some of the men nodded.

"It doesn't clear him for his past misdeeds. He needs to pay the price."

"But if he is truly repentant, he may be useful in the fight against Prince John," the young landowner pointed out.

The 12 men argued these points back and forth for another 20 minutes.

"Thank you gentlemen, you will now make your decision. We will use French evidence. You will exit the Great Hall and turn either left for guilty or right for not guilty. Please proceed."

The noblemen left the Hall one by one. The 3 men on the dais waited patiently for the verdict.

The men filed back into the Hall and took their seats. A clerk entered with a sealed parchment and handed it to the sheriff.

Sheriff Canning stood, the room went quiet. "In the case of Sir Guy of Gisborne the votes are 5 guilty, 7 not guilty." He sat down.

"Thank you Sheriff," Lord Bingham said as he rose. "Now you must decide on the fate of the 4 women in the dungeon. The charges are mutilation and murder."